1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. 2500 vs vc (lizards lose)

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by skirder, Jan 20, 2012.

1. skirder
    Skink

skirder New Member

My first battle report... ever, so bear with me :p

Game type: Friendly

List style: Competitive

Scenario: none

Point level: 2500

Opponent: Vampire Counts

Lizardmen:

LORDS- <500
    Frank (Slann)
    +1 pd
    Loremaster
    Becalming Cognition
    Cup
    Bsb

HEROES- <350
    Scar-Vet
    Charmed shield
    light armor
    Sword of striking (+1 to hit)

Scar-Vet
    shield
    light
    Chotec

Priest
    Cube

CORE- >700
    2x 30 saurus (SAUR)
    fc

SPECIAL- >600
    37 Temple Guard (TG)
    fc
    Venom (to get in magic attacks)

3x5 Chameleons (CHAM)

RARE- >150
    2x Salamanders (SAL)
    extra handlers

just under 2500

Vampire Counts:

LORDS- ?
    LVL 4 Vampire who had 9 attacks, red fury, as 1+, mounted on the flying steed, -1 to leadership, asf, no rerolls allowed for my leadership, and a leadership test at -3 that gives him rerolls to wound... all for supposedly 435 pts

HEROES-
    Wight King with 2+ rerolled as and great weapon
    Wight King with Screaming banner mounted
    Vampire with MR 2 mounted
    2 necros with the 2 books

CORE-
    2x25 zombies (ZOM)
    40ish ghouls

SPECIAL-
    6 Crypt Fiends (CF)
    Corpse cart

RARE-
    5 Blood knights
    Terrorghiest (TERGHI)

Pre game-
    We didn't really care much about terrain, so we evenly spread out two hills and two forests. I lost the deployment role and deployment was as follows:
    ME: TG Block
    HIM: Zombies on the right
    ME: Saurus block on the right
    Him: Zombies on the left
    ME: Saurus on the left
    HIM: Ghouls
    ME: left sallie
    HIM: Blood knights
    ME: right sallies
    HIM: Crypt Fiends
    ME: Slann in TG, Vet w striking in left block (facing ghouls), Vet w Chotec in right block (facing Crypt fiends, best choice in the game), Priest behind TG
    HIM: Corpse cart, Terror ghiest, Mounted heroes (2 vamps, and bsb) in Blood Knights, White king in ghouls, Necromancers in the zombie squads
    ME: Infiltrate the skinks to kill the terrorgheist
    The board looked like this after deployment (h=hill, f=forest):

--------------------(Ter-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------Ghi)----------------------------.Z...--C--.Z...---------(CF.........---------
    CAM------------hhhhhhhh-------(Blood......-----..O..--C--..O..---------.............)---------
    CAM---------hh(Ghouls...hh-----...Knights)-----...M.------...M.----------fffffffffffffff-------
    CAM---------hh.............)hh-------------------------------------------ffffffffffffffffffffff------
    -----------------hhhhhhhh-----------------------------------------------fffffffffffffff-----------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------hhhhhhhhhhh-----
    ------------fffffffffffffff------------------------------------------------hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-----
    ----------fffffffffffffff-------------------------------------------------------hhhhhhhhhhh------
    ---------------fffffffffffffff--------(SAUR.--------(TG............--------(SAUR.-----------------
    -----------------------------------..........-(SAL.-.................-(SAL.-..........-----------------
    -----------------------------------.........)-......)-................)-.......)-.........)----------------

Spells:
    Lizardmen:
    Slann-Loremaster Light
    Priest-default

Vampire Counts:
    Lord-default, vandals, gaze, and the vortex
    the other 3 casters- default (yes, he had four rez bubbles per turn, if he can get them off)

Turn 1:
    LIZARDMEN
    Movement-
    Sarus and Temple guard marched forward
    Salamanders stay tucked in safely in between the blocks
    Skinks move behind ghouls to get the Terrorgheist

Magic-
    First of several rounds of magic in which i end up with 4 dice. A 3 and a 1.

Slann casts 2 d6 s4 on the Blood knights (3 d6 for undead) causes 0 wounds.
    I now know that they have 2++ vs magic.
    Casts the cage spell on one of the zombie necro squads to be annoying/eat dispel dice. He lets it through.
    Casts the boosted gaze on the Crypt fiends and he let's it through in order to save 2 dice for his magic phase. 2 D6 s 6 vs t5 lands me 4 wounds.

Shooting-
    Skinks roll 9 sixes! Terrorgheist is down. whoot! That would have been a major pain.
    Sallies are too far away to shoot.

VAMPIRE COUNTS
    Movement-
    Ghouls march forward
    Bloodknights turn to face my skinks and move towards them
    Crypt horrors move into the forest (abyssal wood) to get a better position to charge the saurus as well as getting closer to the healing bubble.

Magic-
    He rolls a ten! with the 2 saved dice he has 12 dice. not wanting to give him that much magic, i cube the first spell and successfully end his phase. I should have saved it for later, but i was silly.

Turn 2:
    LIZARDMEN
    Movement-
    All three dino blocks march up.
    left sallies move forward past the battleline in order to get a decent shot at the ghouls.
    the skinks move around to make it impossible for the knights to over run into another combat

Magic-
    YAY! another 4 dice phase
    Banishment went off on the crypt horrors, causing 2 wounds
    I failed to cast shems gaze and then couldn't one dice the heavens signature spell
    He kept 2 dice for his next phase

Shooting-
    Left salamander killed 5 ghouls... not too thrilled there :p
    all of the skinks shot at the knights 2+/4++ for the lols, they were just there to harass at this point anyways
    right salamander ate a couple skinks cause he was bored

VAMPIRE COUNTS
    Movement-
    Ghouls charged the sallies
    Bloodknights charged the skinks
    Crypt horrors charged the saurus
    zombies moved closer to the crypt horrors so that the necros could heal them.

Magic-
    forget what he rolled, but he ended up with about 8 dice to my 4
    he casted a bubble heal that would touch the zombies and the ghouls, but not the crypt horrors, which i let slide. ghouls were now back at full strength.
    tried to cast a bigger bubble to help the crypt horrors. I stop it with 2 dice.
    casts the bound vandals on the crypt horrors. I stop it with the rest of my dice.

Combat-
    Skinks and salamander gone
    ghouls over run into my saurus
    Knights reform to challenge other skinks
    Crypt horrors kill 8, and lose 3 wounds in return
    I hold

Turn 3:
    LIZARDMEN
    Movement-
    TG charge the ghoul flank
    salamander runs around the combat to flame the zombies
    one squad of skinks continue to annoy the knights while the other moves towards the corpse cart

Magic-
    5 dice! how can i deserve so many!
    I decided to 6 dice timewarp, since his lord was in my sights! good thing i didn't irresistible and he had a scroll....

Shooting-
    salamander killed a few zombies
    no knights die
    the cart takes 2 wounds!

Combat-
    Saurus beat the Crypt horrors by one. they are now down to four models, one with just a single wound left. I still have 3 full ranks
    despite having a scar vet, 30 saurus, and a horde of TG, I only manage to drop 15 ghouls AFTER crumbling was accounted for. but i did kill the wight king.

VAMPIRE COUNTS
    Movement-
    Bloodknights charged the skinks

Magic-
    He got a light magic phase. healed the horrors a slight bit

Combat-
    Skinks ran! they are free!
    ghouls survive another combat phasethey now have about 16 models left
    Crypt horrors begin to lose badly. they are down to 3 models, and i still have 3 ranks

Turn 4:
    LIZARDMEN
    Movement-
    Skinks set up to keep the blood knights out of the big combat

Magic-
    4 dice... yay
    I give myself ws and I 10

Shooting-

Combat-
    Saurus beat the Crypt horrors down to two models, but they've finally broken into my third rank
    the ghouls are now 10 strong. yeah, I roll that badly

VAMPIRE COUNTS
    Movement-
    Lord charges out of the squad and into the sarus Warriors flank

Magic-
    He got a good magic phase. healed the horrors a slight bit, as well as bringing back several ghouls

Combat-
    Lord does 16 wounds... yeah... 16
    ghouls survive another combat phasethey now have about 10 models left
    Saurus run and the Lord chases them down
    Crypt horrors die

Turn 5:
    LIZARDMEN
    Movement-
    Saurus charge zombies
    Skinks set up to keep the Lord out of the big combat

Magic-
    7 dice!!! FINALLY! I give myself I and WS10 again. Irresistible it. Roll a 6. Put it on his vamp in the black knight squad (only wizard i could see). He loses one knight due to those lovely 2+ wards. I then lose D6 power dice and the phase is over.

Shooting-

Combat-
    Saurus beat the zombies down to probably somewhere around 40 after the amount of rezzing he had done
    Temple guard manage to kill a grand total of 2 ghouls, now that they were only touching 1. 9 hitting on 3's and wounding on 3's if i had killed one more, they would have been wiped out.

VAMPIRE COUNTS
    Movement-
    Lord flies over right behind the TG to prepare to charge
    Bloodknights charge the skinks

Magic-
    ghouls are now back at 25 and the saurus fighting the zombies are S1

Combat-
    Ghouls are still only touching 2 models and so survive quite well
    Zombies beat the s1 saurus, causing 2 wounds.
    skinks die

this is where i called it.

End result:
    Terrorgheist and crypt horros dead
    everything else on its way to, or past full strength

i lost one squad of saurus, and two of the three skinks squads.

conclusion:
    invocation bubble are probably some of the best magic in the game!
    WAY better than life healing, and affects multiple units.
    also, it is the signature spell.
    Bloodknights can be made to be nearly invincible.
    Vampire lords deal out more damage as a lvl 4 wizard with a 1+ armor save than an entire block of saurus

changes?
    a little less on the slann, just enough to hopefully get an Oldblood in there.
    more salamanders, they could have actually hurt the knights. although, he can easily bring back 5 knights in a turn.

Thoughts? Comments?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Good report. I especially like the deployement map that you used. Simple and effective!

Good work, sorry about the loss though.

3. skirder
    Skink

skirder New Member

it actually messed it up by taking out all of the spaces i was using as unit fillers :p

I fixed it a little, but it still needs more formating

4. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

I'm hoping someone gives you a solution here cause there are plenty of vamps in my next tourney. Enough so I'm thinking of giving my slann death magic and charge in as fast as possible to start snipping chars.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Doen't the Lore of light atribute do something nasty against undead and chaos?

6. skirder
    Skink

skirder New Member

extra d6 for every spell effect against them :) (shems becomes 2d6, banish becomes 3d6, etc)
    I would switch to shadow, mindrazor and pit are golden against the undead. And the hexes would have reduced their effectiveness incredibly, as well as boosting my salamanders effectiveness (the only way i could really see my army effectively dropping the blood knights.)

Despite the bonus, light really didn't do much for me. my slann wounded the Crypt fiends 4-5 times... whoop de doo
    granted, I did roll incredibly low for winds, but Life or shadow would have been better

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

True, you need a becent amout of dice fot lite to be great, and well...
    lets just say the old ones where not with you that day. :(

But yea Shadow is the other great lore for lizardmen (beside light and life).

Ps. still can't believe that vamp killed 16 in one round. :jawdrop:

8. skirder
    Skink

skirder New Member

5 attacks base, +3 sword, +frenzy
    Hits on 3's (rerolled)
    Wounds on 2's (rerolled)
    gets another attack for each wound caused.
    that and screwing with my leadership, negating all strength bonuses, armor save 1,
    and being a level 4 for 435 pts.
    that is disgustingly cheap for what it does.

9. Pyre
    Saurus

Pyre Member

That vampire lord is at the least not priced right. He's 335 pts just to be naked and a lvl 4. Red Fury, the each wound generates an attack, is 50 pts. Quick Blood, ASF, is another 30 pts. Fear Incarnate is another 20 pts to force re-rolled fear tests, and it sound like he had Beguile which is another 20 pts. That puts him at 455 pts before magic and mundane items, and 20 pts over his allotment for vampire powers.

The items sound like the Sword of Bloodshed and the Night Shroud, which is another 100 pts for a grand total of 555 pts before mount and mundane items.

Yeah...

Pyre

10. skirder
    Skink

skirder New Member

he had nightshroud, +3 attack sword, red furry, -1 leadership to enemies, asf, and i had to take a test or he got rerolled to wounds. he also had a 1+ armor save

11. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

sounds like the ILEGAL vamp lord was the turning point when he took out aload of saurus. Were they only fighting him as they would be steadfast due to having more ranks. Seems you were really unlucky in the magic phases.

I was thinking of taking light in my game against my friends VC , only for the fact I know he will be taking 5 hexwraiths. One banishment spell against them and they are gone. But maybe Shadow would be better as I can use that against all his army not just the hexwraiths.

12. skirder
    Skink

skirder New Member

no, they were fighting the ghouls. I think shadow is our best against them, personally.

13. Scizorsfury
    Jungle Swarm

Scizorsfury New Member

Beguile also does not allow that Vamp to reroll failed to wound rolls, it now makes the opponent have to reroll successful rolls to hit and it only works on 1 model in base contact. You use Beguile in challenges or against enemy nasty characters who could wreck your unit, most the vamps I fight wear the glittering scales and ride Zombie Dragons for a -2 to hit.

14. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I just played my first game against the new vampires too. I won though. XP

But we are both fairly new players. And while reading your report I came across this "I now know that they have 2++ vs magic". I'm a bit confused. They have a 2+ ward vs magic? Is that what this means? If so what gives this to them. I didn't see it in their rules and didn't play it as such.

15. skirder
    Skink

skirder New Member

4++ vs range banner and a MR2 hero