1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age 2500pts Empire of Sonnstahl vs Saurian Ancients

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Anubis, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Anubis
    Skink

Anubis New Member

Hey all,

My first 9th age battle report and my first video battle report.

Let me know what you think and feel free to share.

Best,
    Anubis

Warden and dwarfepic like this.
  2. conquahex
    Skink

conquahex New Member

Great report! Sorry for your loss, but I do like to see the saurians win :D

Since the bulk of your army seems to hang back a bit, maybe you should try playing more conservatively with your reiters. They seem able to deal with most enemy chaff on the charge, but you don't want them taking any fire in return, so it's better to wait until the opposing army spreads out a little more and is concentrating more shots on your combat units.

You did a good job of describing what was happening, but I think it would be useful to include a few pictures of the whole battlefield throughout the game, or at least larger portions of it. Even just one picture showing the deployment of both armies at the beginning would give me a more intuitive sense of how the game will progress.

Did your opponent ever use the breath weapon on his cuatl? I thought it was a strange choice because it can only be used against a unit in base contact with him. Other than that I didn't notice any flagrant rules violations, but I'm certainly not an expert.

I enjoyed watching that, thanks for sharing!

Warden likes this.
  3. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I am not really familiar with 9th age rules, but thanks for the lovely battle report with all the pictures! Considering its your first one I don't really have any issues with it, just want more pictures!

I like how you have incorporated GW terrain as unit fillers for some of your infantry, beautifully done! I am too cheap to buy the GW stuff :bag:... kudos to your modeling prowess! Its great to see well painted armies duke it out on the battlefield. Looking forward to seeing more!

4. Anubis
    Skink

Anubis New Member

5. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

Nice battle report, really like your veteran unit models and your opponents sky riders.

I think you may have had too high of an opinion with your cannon, probably left over from 8th edition. Your 100 point unit took out 4 wounds from a 5 wound 200 point model, in addition to taking out a wound from a spearback, it easily made its points back in wounds the problem was that you were not able to finish off what it had started. In my experience with Empire both in 8th and now in 9th is that if you are only bringing 2 artillery pieces you really need to leave the mortar at home and bring either 2 cannons or a cannon and volley gun (Although with the new volley gun rules for cannons they can function in both modes just not as well). An empire mortar is very good at taking out large units of low T troops, but those same units are generally not very hard for any of your other units to kill off, and combined with how unreliable the aim is I hardly ever see mortars getting their points back.

In the future I would also recommend the following unit if you are going to take knights:
    Captain BSB
    Banner of the Stallion
    Heroes Sword
    Talisman of Shielding
    Shield, Plate Armor, Horse
    147 pts

Prelate
    Armor of Destiny
    Horse
    155 pts

15x Imperial Calvary
    W/ Great Weapons
    Champion, Veteran Standard, Muscician
    Banner of Speed
    400 pts

This combined with the distracting altar makes for a hammer and anvil unit, they will be faster than anything else in the game with a charging movement of 10" and the ability to re-roll 1's, that means you will be certain to charge whatever you want, it would even be difficult for chaff to flee out of your range at times. Use the BSB orders rule to increase movement, keep the distracting altar close, and these guys will wreck opponents with S6 attacks re-rolling missed hits, and a 2+ armor save.

And if you really feel the need to make it a core unit deathstar then add in your knight commander (Who would normally be in your Sun Griffon unit) and use the fight in extra ranks rule and rank them up 6x3. Without even needing to charge you will have about 18x S6 attacks, 4x S5 attacks, 2x S4 attacks, and 6x S3 attacks

Keep up the work with your empire army, it is looking good and it really provides a lot of fun options to play.

Warden likes this.
  6. Anubis
    Skink

Anubis New Member

Thanks for all the great replies and help!

I started a three part mini campaign with my saurian counterpart.
    Let me know what you think.

Don't forget to hit like and subscribe,
    Best,
    Anubis

BeardyGecko and Warden like this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Thanks for the battle report! Glad you one, but the Saurian Ancients will rise again!

8. Anubis
    Skink

Anubis New Member

Hey all, second battle for the lost plaque is up!

Don't forget to hit like and subscribe,
    Best,
    Anubis

Warden likes this.
  9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice report! Glad the lizardmen took the plague from the foul warmbloods in the tower of Sigmar-foam!

Looks farely straightforward, I am surprised the Lizardmen did so well, I would have preferred to send in some faster-moving saurus cavalry to get some solid charges off against the imperial infantry, but then again this is 9th age so what do I know?

I did see the part about catching a fleeing unit. I don't have the 9th age PDF open here, but way back in the warhammer rules I was most familiar with I know that when your charged a fleeing unit and caught them, the fleeing unit would have to make another 2D6/3D6 flee reaction automatically, almost as if they were fleeing as a charge reaction. If the fleeing troops do not flee far enough from the enemy charge they are automatically destroyed, like they normally would be from pursuit. That is how my brother and I used to play it anyway, but it was normally dependent on the individual situation.

10. Anubis
    Skink

Anubis New Member

Hello all,

Finished the battle for the lost plaque!

Don't forget to hit like and subscribe.

Best,
    Anubis

Warden likes this.