1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial 8th edition talismans for lizardmen

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Boq, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Boq
    Skink

Boq New Member

another guide, this time on talismans and how effective they are with lizards.

The rates are - * = bad
    ** = not recommended
    *** = ok
    **** = good
    ***** = amazing

Talisman of preservation **** - too expensive for use on a scar-vet but on an oldblood this is brilliant, especially when running solo for dodging cannonballs.

Obsidian Amulet * - exactly the same as talisman of preservation apart from it only works against magic, for the same points. Because of this there is NO benefit of taking this over the talisman of preservtion.

Talisman of endurance **** - like preservation, this is a cheap and cheerful and can't really go wrong, basically the same as the Glyph necklace.

Obsidian amulet * - already said this, not needed when you can get endurance

Dawnstone ***** - this is a brilliant item if used right. When used on a saurus the trick is to get a 3+ save or better already with a dawnstone, its not nearlly as effective with a 5+ save, when used on skink it is less effective but can still be used well on a skink character on a stegadon

Opal amulet *** - good for making a character last a little bit longer and it's cheap as well for only 15 pts. Personally I would take a charmed shield as it's cheaper and has a 2+ save.

Obsidian trinket * - same as all obsidian talismans, theres no point!

Talisman of protection *** - ok but most people don't feel that happy relying on a 6+ save but if you've got points left over its a good buy

Seed of rebirth *** - pretty much the same as protection but just remember about flaming attacks

Dragonbane gem ** - could be usefull occasionally but likely to last the whole battle without it working. Suppose it could be used considering how cheap it is

Pigeon plucker pendant ** - even more situational than the dragonbane gem in a normal battle but is quite useful in storm of magic to protect your slann/skink priest from all those chimeras and dragons.

Luckstone **** - cheap, and a lifesaver in some situations, sometimes its just the one armour save roll of 1 that kills you

2. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

Before you totally discount the Obsidian Talismans, remember that Magic Resistance applies to the whole unit. They are still probably not worth their points, but they are far from useless.

3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Really?? That sounds not half bad against those nukes everyone seems so fond of casting on my saurus blocks.

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

they do indeed work for the whole unit (MR that is), and more over, they stack with any existing ward save. a character in the unit that has for example the 5+ WS armour would get a 2+ ward save against spells if the talisman was on him, or another char in the unit.

i never use them (MR talismans) either, but i wouldnt agree that they are worthless. a slann foth MR3 would protect his unit (the most expensive unit we have) from 50% of all spell damage, and would be practically invulnerable to spells himself. many times slann do not use trinkets anyway, and many times they arent even at their max point allowance for magic items (thy usually only have the cupped hands, cube or glyph of tepok in my experience)

the regeneration trinkets on the other hand i would value less than you do, just because it is a ward save, but worse than a normal ward save. might as well go for the "real thing" tbh ;)

5. Boq
    Skink

Boq New Member

Nice point, I didn't realise that, might upgrade them to **

6. Omar
    Cold One

Omar New Member

One thing to consider when taking into account the Obsidian talismans is that they stack up with ward saves and this includes the Engine of the God's: Portent of Warding. So if you were to take a Slann with Unfathomable Presence in a TG unit, an Oldblood with the MR(3) talisman in a block of saurus and a Scar-Vet with the MR(2) in a separate unit, all within range of PoW, you now have 2 units with a 2+ ward save against magic damage and one with a 3+. This is obviously helpful to close the distance against a caster heavy opponent with minimal casualties but more importantly you can afford to let some spells go off and safe your dice for the pesky spells that don't allow saves of any kind or that would have a bigger impact in your battle. At least that's my take on it.

7. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

That would also be like a ~2k point combo.

For lower point games I don't rate the MR trinkets very highly.

8. Omar
    Cold One

Omar New Member

Agreed, I just don't think they're completely useless.