1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Stegadon step-by-step journal

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by neveroddoreven, Feb 14, 2012.

1. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

For my local GW's painting competition I decided to paint up the dusty Stegadon that has been sitting on my shelf for months.
    I've been taking photos as I do each stage, so I can see myself progress and thought I'd share it here. Also for fun, I'm timing myself using music, noting down the runtime of each cd as I go!

Step 1
    1.jpg
    I began by covering the model in two thinned coats of dheneb stone.

Step 2
    2.jpg
    I washed it with Baal red. At this point I was shocked at how pink it is!

Step 3
    3.jpg
    I neatened up the skin with thinned dheneb stone, and drybrushed the scales the same colour.

Step 4
    4.jpg
    I continued to highlight the skin with a mix of dheneb stone and skull white. It became harder to hide my brushstrokes at this point, so I applied it as a linear texture.

Step 5
    5.jpg
    I finished the highlight with pure white, thinned again to aid blending.

Step 6
    6.jpg
    I began the pattern using leviathan purple wash in stripes along the back and crest. I added another layer of baal red on there too.

...So concludes day one - 6 hours work at this point. I hope I get it done in time!

Warden likes this.
  2. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

It's an albino steg!

Looks nice, I like the purple stripes along the back.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Cool, nice work on the step by step guide!

Good luck getting it finished in time.

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Very nice step by step guide. The coloring is going to look great. I especially want to see the horns done (I have 2 stegs that need work on the horns).

5. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Looking good. I really like those colors

6. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

Day 2

Step 7

7.jpg
    The pattern on the crest was painted onto the wet washes, liche purple and warlock purple. The main horns were basecoated with a mix of snakebite leather and calthan brown. I then feathered on layers of vomit brown, bubonic brown and bleached bone. The pattern was done with snakebite leather then scorched brown, to darken. Finally, I added little nicks and scratches by painting little lines of the final highlight, then the basecoat just above.

Step 7

8.jpg
    This part was so tedious, I was dreading it. All the lesser horns and spikes were basecoated just like the main horns.

Step 8

9.jpg
    Thinned bleached bone was feathered on.

Step 9

10.jpg
    Skull white was feathered on as a final highlight, then all the spikes and horns were given a glaze of gryphonne sepia at the base.

Day 3

Step 10

11.jpg
    The toes were painted charadon granite, feathered with kommando khaki, the edged with bleached bone.

Step 11

12.jpg
    The roping was based with khemri brown, washed with badab black, then highlighted bleached bone.

Step 12

13.jpg
    All the metal areas were based with tin bitz, then highlighted with dwarf bronze. This is where I usually leave it, however I decided to experiment and see what would happen if I went further. I added a second highlight of shining gold, then glazed it with ogryn flesh.

Step 13

14b.jpg
    The blue skull-gems went necron abyss - enchanted blue - ice blue - space wolves grey - skull white. The green ones went dark angels green - snot green - scorpion green - skull white. The skull hanging from the tail was based in a mix of scorched brown and fortress grey, then fortress grey, then skull white. The bindings were scorched brown highlighted with snakebite leather.

Step 14

15.jpg
    Done! I don't remember at what point I did the face though. Next up - The crew.

Warden likes this.
  7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

it looks lovely, and the painting is top notch. i personally am not a fan of the large horns and their unique pattern, but it is probably the conservative in me stirring :p

Really looking forward to the rest :)

8. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Awesome display mate, wish I could paint like that well done will keep an eye on this :)

9. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

This journal is a great idea. Seeing you work step by step is helping me get over my painter's block...I've been putting off working on my stegadon for far too long. Maybe this weekend I'll pull it back out and finally do something with it...like paint a giant cannon ball bull's eye on the side perhaps :p

10. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I have two stegs (one old and one new) sitting on my to-do list. After my skinks though!

11. Turtleneck
    Cold One

Turtleneck New Member

SICK SHIZ! wow man awesome work!

12. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

Day 4

I'm asked all the time how I paint my skinks. Here I can go into detail;

Step 1

16.jpg
    The skin is basecoated in liche purple.

Step 2

17.jpg
    The skin is progressively highlighted in three or four stages by adding in a little of the old tentacle pink to the liche purple each time. Tentacle pink unfortunately is a discontinued colour, but a similar brew can be made by mixing warlock purple with skull white.
    For these, I tried something new. For the final highlights I mixed leviathan purple wash with the thick old pink.

Step 3

18.jpg
    The underbelly is blended just like the rest of the skin, this time from liche purple to (almost) bleached bone. Again, in three or four stages.

Step 4

19.jpg
    The tail is blended in three stages from liche purple to ultramarines blue, as is the crest. While I have the blue open, I basecoat the scales and eyes and tongue too.

Step 5

20.jpg
    The tail and crest are continue to be blended, from ultramarines blue, to ice blue then to space wolves grey. If you look at the palette in the pic you can see the gradual mix used. The stripes are done with a purple wash, thinner at the base of the tail and starker towards the tip .The pupil is painted in the eye, then the scales and eyes are washed with badab black. For this project I paid a little more attention and feathered a texture onto the spinal scales with the same blues as before. As a final touch, I put a little dot of space wolves grey onto the eyes and a line along the tail as a shine.

Step 6

21.jpg
    The metal was based with tin bitz and highlighted dwarf bronze. The javelin shafts were based with bestial brown, and a loose wood grain texture was applied with graveyard earth then kommando khaki. Dark flesh was used on the hand weapon, and little veins were painted onto the obsidian blades with kommando khaki before being glossed.

That's two done today. If I keep this pace up I might make it. Good job I took this week off work!

Warden likes this.
  13. tZZq
    Skink

tZZq New Member

This is impressive. Looks amazing!

14. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

The collorsheme for the steg is not really my cup of tea.

But the painting is excellent and i love the step by step guide

15. Maazie
    Cold One

Maazie Member

I like your color choice. Much different then how alot of people go. You have good detail, and you painted your skinks almost exactly how I did. Hah.

Good paint job over all, I will have to post mine once I finish basing him.

16. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

Well, after a week of no activity it's safe to say I suck at this journal thing! Most of the progress pics I took were out of focus, and I was too busy actually painting the damn thing to post updates. Also, after a late night finishing it off before the competition date, I overslept and missed it completely! Ah well. At least I managed to sneak in an awesomely disastrous first skaven game!
    FIRE.jpg

I may as well finish this with what I've got.

The howdah
    22.jpg
    The stone was basecoated khemri brown.

23.jpg
    Then drybrushed dheneb stone, and finished with skull white.

26.jpg
    The shields are tallarn flesh with scorched brown stripes, glazed with ogryn flesh. The bamboo was khemri brown with bubonic brown stripes glazed with thraka green. The cloth went fenris grey - space wolves grey - skull white. The gold and gemstone areas were painted as elsewhere on the model, and the coloured areas on the stone were painted with foundations for a matt-look.

I'll see if I can post the finished pics tomorrow, including Tehenhauin.

Warden likes this.
  17. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i would love a closer look at those bamboo sticks :)

18. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

I want to know how you painted the light on the skaven, as they are my second army just haven't started painting them... Also Steg looks good, wouldn't mind seeing the bamboo too

19. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

That's my first go at source lighting, I just used watered down sunburst yellow where I thought the light would hit, and tried to make the fire as bright as possible.

So it's all done now.
    GodEngine1.jpg
    GodEngine2.jpg
    GodEngine3.jpg

Tehenhauin and the engine of the gods are both removable, there's a big magnet in the howdah.

Tehenhauin1.jpg
    Tehenhauin2.jpg

My skink chief looks great on there.
    xhuitilka.jpg

Warden likes this.
  20. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Very impressive steg! Great work!