1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Second Edition

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, May 12, 2018.

1. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

I will have to try and write a list for that, many thanks! I just have half-built Knights everywhere, mostly the reason why I don't bring them to games much. Let's see how many I can find and finish off (the joy of keeping everything separate). Then I wouldn't be needing a large amount if I want to squeeze as much as I can in.

Wazz likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yes, that should work.

Wazz likes this.
  3. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

4. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Aginor likes this.
  5. Axquirix
    Cold One

Axquirix Active Member

Knights are my go-to choice for Battleline now; their wounds and saves per point are the same as Warriors, unlike Guard, and offensively they're as good if the Warriors are at fewer than 30 models, don't have spears, or aren't using a Sunclaw formation. Two of those three puts the Warriors ahead, but Knights bring it back with hero supporting; Oldbloods on foot to give them more chance to land their charge bonus and Starpriests hitting them with Serpent Staff to double the damage of all their other attacks. The Starpriests can even keep up movement wise!

little-myth and Wazz like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah, because Knights are soooo slow.

little-myth and Wazz like this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

they're fairly good, but still kind of horrificly squishy. With only a 5+ save and their relative small unit sizes they tend to get decimated rapidly when focussed unless they have buffs to help keep em up. it's just far to easy to take em down with massed fire.

little-myth likes this.
  8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I got to hold A Purple Sun in my hand Saturday. I apologise, that I don’t remember what shape base it was on. The sphere itself was a bit smaller than the size of a baseball. The spikes are various lengths. The longest of the spikes probably do get the max diameter to just beyond softball diameter. All of the parts except the base (but including some sculpted texture for the base) are a Purple-tinted Styrene plastic:

[​IMG]
    Not my picture.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Captaniser, Wazz and Aginor like this.
  9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

That picture looks like an oval to me. There is a picture floating around the internet of the sprues. One of the sprues is light brown (____insert GW colourname here____) plastic and is all bases, and it includes two large Oval bases. There are two Large spells.

10. little-myth
    Carnasaur

It would persuade me to work that bit more on the Knights but I mostly go against shooting armies, well won't hurt to try them out in a Firelance. Just brought some old versions of the Cold Ones

Wazz likes this.
  11. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Purple sun is all purple sprue. The jaws are red about 4 pieces. A lot of the smaller spells are on a blue sprue set( the skull lifeswarm the 2 orb spells). The others are on a silver one. (The mirrors, swords, cogs, guillotine which is one piece, and the chains) most are just cut out and place on a base. The push fits in the starter are really really nice! I was drooling over the Knight of Shrouds. The cloth is indented on the mounts ribs! I got really lucky and got to help my local shop build a bunch of it. Didn't touch the Stormcast lol. And sorry cant remembers the base sizes.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  12. Axquirix
    Cold One

Axquirix Active Member

Point-for-points they're still better than Saurus if you can't hit that 30+ model count, IMO. Running a Firelance Starhost means you've got three units of probably ten each, and in the new edition you'll be able to summon more Knights, Warriors or Skinks where and when you need them. With the changes to shooting in melee and the addition of things like the Pallisade, I think they'll do well enough against shooting armies now. Certainly no worse than the rest of our army (shooting armies just seem to be the main meta right now).

Wazz and little-myth like this.
  13. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Will have to see how many Knights I have, having a unit of 8 completed so far. There are others around somewhere, just need to finish them, then some have different colour schemes cause of my habit of multiple spawnings but that doesn't matter. Also getting the five in the mail of the older edition ones, those ones should be much easier to paint.
    I need to keep up with all the new stuff for AoS

Wazz likes this.
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

They'l work if provided you threat em as fodder with a bite. If they draw fire they draw it away from your proper threats, if your proper threats get fired upon they pack enough of a punch totake out some valuable stuff. Also with teleport they are fast enough to be used for flanking and murdering a war machine or some such.

little-myth likes this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

In terms of points efficiency they're fine. It's just that a unit of 5 gets decimated in moments and a unit of 10 is already rather unwieldy. imho they could use an extra wound or a slightly better save or say a ward save or some such. In general our stuff could use a buff or two where defenses are concerned...

16. Axquirix
    Cold One

Axquirix Active Member

Yeah, I honestly think Guard should be 2 wounds each and maybe Knights should be 3. Most of our battlelines only seem to be worth their points if you take the appropriate battalion, at which point the battalions feel overpriced.
    I think the intention from the beginning was the "summoning endless waves of anything" and the poor defensive stats was to make that not insurmountable, it's just that matched play summoning rules kinda screwed us over. The new edition's "set elites and monsters, endless battleline and support monsters" will hopefully be a good middle ground. It'd be better if we could add summons to existing units (to reinforce knights and guard units instead of just summoning new units of 5) but I see how that could get out of hand with skinks and warriors (start with a unit of 40 and then throw another 20 onto them by turn 2).
    Also, I really want them to change the Skinks unit to be called Skink Hunters or something, to help differentiate Skink units and units of Skinks. Can a Stegadon with Skink Alpha give chameleons a bonus move and reroll 1s on shooting? I honestly don't know.
    And while we're on a wishlist post, plastic Salamanders! Plastic Razordons! Cold Ones that don't look so dumb!

Captaniser, Canas, Aginor and 2 others like this.
  17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

imho, if they wanne go with the enless waves thing existing units need to be able to be reinforced. Otherwise you're going to end up with problems as it'l become too easy to just stop the summoner from summoning due to the range requirements on it.

little-myth likes this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Also, I just thought of something. Is the Mortarch of Grief the god that one story that appeared a few days back where a stormforged found a white god of death and convinced it to show itself causing it to be eaten by Nagash? They're both white, the description of te new mortarch says she's an actual prisoner of Nagash and seeing she was the god of those wishing to be forgotten grief rather fits.

Also, aren't the stormforged brillant allies? All they have to do is show up and you get eaten by your mortal enemy that's been hunting you for aeons….

Wazz likes this.
  19. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

No, he was clearly referred to as Vannah, the God of the Forgotten Dead.

20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

well that's dissapointing. It'd fit nicely.