1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest April-May 2017 Short Story Contest

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I apologize for the late start. I did a have a very busy end of March start of April, but it's mostly my time management skills that led me to forgetting about the contest. Starting and ending this two weeks later should make it easier for people to enter and in and vote on the overlapping April-May Poetry Contest since the two are now staggered. Technically voting well extend into June but it's still the April-May Contest mahrlect it!

If a writer chooses to participate in the Poetry Contest instead of the Short Story Contest, I will not be offended. If we get half the entries as last contest we still will have plenty to read.

The previous contest winner has not responded to my request for a theme and I am going to have to go off the grid into an Internet free zone for a while, so I am choosing the theme and I choose Man Versus Self, one of the four basic conflicts in all writing. "Man' needn't be male and "Man" needn't be human. Another title could be Inner Conflict.

Lordkingcrow got back to me and came up with a good topic "Cold Blooded Honor." I like that theme better than mine but someone might have started writing with "Man Versus Self" so now the topic is "Cold Blooded Honor or Man Versus Self". Fortunately, these two themes fit together very well.

The Rules

-We would like you to try to keep your story between 500 and 2000 words. I am requiring that entries do not exceed 2400 words. This is counting title, poems, quotes, any add-ons. If I get a submission that exceeds 2400 words, I will trim it till it meets the limit, and you may not like what I choose to cut.
    -Your name must appear nowhere with the story. There is no point in having an anonymous competition based on skill if we know whose entry is whose.
    -You must send your story via private message to Scalenex before midnight (US Central time) on May 16th .
    -The story must be new. No dragging up a story you wrote months or years ago.
    -No plagiarism. This means no stealing a story verbatim. You are free to use characters or settings from other works.
    -The story must involve Lizardmen (or Seraphon or Salamanders) at least a little
    -The story must stick roughly within the theme, at least a little.
    -No comics or illustrations. This is a short story contest. Visuals are limited to fonts and text colors. We have regular contests for visual art. There is one ongoing now.
    -Only one entry allowed per person.
    I will do my best to providing proofreading and general advise to writers who ask for it. Keep in mind there is usually a flood of entries coming in the last week, so the earlier you submit your piece to me, the easier it will be for me to help you. You are welcome to ask anyone else you wish for help or advice.

Once again, the winner of this contest has the honor of choosing the next contest theme if they so choose. This time because I do not want to be saddled with coming up with a last minute topic. If the winner does not give me a topic within a week of winning, I will pass this burden honor on to the runner-up.

If you want to talk about the theme or your eagerness to write or read something. Please do so below!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Warden, Ritual, thedarkfourth and 2 others like this.
  2. Scalenex
    Slann

Lordkingcrow got back to me and came up with a good topic "Cold Blooded Honor." I like that theme better than mine but someone might have started writing with "Man Versus Self" so now the topic is "Cold Blooded Honor or Man Versus Self". Fortunately, these two themes fit together very well.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    SlanntaClause, Ritual and Bowser like this.
  3. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Huh, okay well that puts a new twist on how I end mine then. But I think that it could still work. Both good topics.

Ritual likes this.
  4. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

3 days. Had nothing for theme one, now nothing for theme two.

I am instantly twice as far behind. Thanks for nothing, LKC.

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

A story has written itself in my head more or less aligned with the MVS theme. I could see CBH filtering in also.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Man agains self, eh?
    I could have something... ;)

What if I do both? :D

Bowser likes this.
  7. Scalenex
    Slann

Then Scalenex will be happy. If both the short story and poem are very sad then Scalenex will be very happy.

spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

And I am entered! Hopefully we get a good turn out for this. I don’t want to wait until May 16th, but having a shorter time frame for voting would be good. Although we may never get all of the reviews!

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

I've got the story! :D

OK, actually it's just in my mind, but it's already sufficiently well defined.
    Now it's just a matter to put the words on paper and beg for a proofreading. :p

Bowser likes this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

What a ride.

My piece has been submitted, basically 20 days before the deadline! :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  11. Scalenex
    Slann

We have two entries. Two entries make a contest! I'll start the proofreads later though, I have poetry to polish

12. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

pendrake, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

We are old and slowly losing what grip we had on reality, if we ever had a grip!

pendrake and Bowser like this.
  14. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

I was almost going to say "I, like @Crowsfoot have no idea whatsoever, but for a completely different reason", but I didn't bother, because I thought it was implied.

pendrake, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  15. Xholankha the lost one
    Chameleon Skink

Xholankha the lost one Well-Known Member

to be honest martial honour could be very interesting in the lizardmen as their society is like a machine, so throwing in the need for honour is very interesting concept, jut a quick question do the stories have to be centered around lizardmen or do they just have to include them in it.

Bowser likes this.
  16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Lizzies need only to be included, even if only marginally.

Bowser likes this.
  17. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Marital honour would have seen less relevance to Lizardmen.

Slanputin and Bowser like this.
  18. Wolfwerty33
    Cold One

Wolfwerty33 Active Member

After several weeks of not being able to write anything but a bit of editting on a poem, I sit down and write 1600 words in one sitting...
    I hate my brain sometimes.

Bowser likes this.
  19. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Did you see your illustration on the art comp?. Asst least you inspired something in that time period.

Bowser likes this.
  20. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

See most of my stories

Slanputin and Bowser like this.