1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating a new AoS army

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by little-myth, May 19, 2018.

?

Which Grand Alliance?

Poll closed May 21, 2018.
  1. Order

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Chaos

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Destruction

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Death

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

I tend to bring this subject up a bit outside the forums but I get ignored so I thought of bringing it here. Even though I have my little undead bird army currently being built, most of them being head swaps or using bird related models. I wanted to make something proper homebrewed, using GW models as bases though, sometimes my local GW let me test run homemade rules and that.

Don't really have any ideas at the moment, it's more of a itching thought of 'I want my own unique army with fresh rules and everything'
    So I will put up a poll first, first picking out if I should go with Order, Chaos, Destruction or Death

There is also the thought of whether to go with an elite or horde army, along with what are their main focus is; magic, melee, summons, ranged.
    Something tells me it will be reptilian related because reptiles. If that is the case I will have to make them very different from the Seraphon.
    Poll will be up for about 2 days, might give myself time to think while I paint.

Captaniser likes this.
  2. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Did do somesrandom thought scribbles down.
    Of course it's reptilian of sorts haha. More like scaleless ones. This feels like a Chaos or Death thing. Middle scribble is a mess, was roughly basing off a Hell Pit model.
    IMG_20180520_185949009.jpg

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

It could perhaps be based on Destruction if they want to destroy things. Certainly if they are not chaotic or undead they should be Destruction.

little-myth likes this.
  4. little-myth
    Carnasaur

True, not that familiar with Destruction really so I will have to do some reading and that later on.

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I voted destruction purely as you don’t have that alliance at the moment.

Ironjawz are cool especially if you mix in some Kromlech heads

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I don't play AoS... I don't like AoS... but I voted Chaos.... because you know... Chaos

you might want to disregard my vote :D

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Destruction is winning by quite a margin anyway so I don’t think it will matter ;)

little-myth likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Very true... at least Chaos is on the board!

9. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Yup the poll is closed now and it's Destruction the grand winner for the homebrewed army
    Thank you all for voting! You are all great people!

Now next would be trying to think of a focus for the army, also will be needing to work out how many of heroes, battleline units, normal units and monsters I would aim for first.
    Trying to also think if I should make art also but I sometimes have problems recreating the art style that is use in the books. I do need to refine sketches though to give a better idea what I am going for.
    For fluff, well that may take a while, need to think of more than run and stab and things cause Destruction.
    Then there is the rule making and possibly picking out allies.

10. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Now that this is a project slowly getting off it's feet, I know I have to try and tend to this when I can.
    At the moment it's a lot of brainstorming.
    So far it's going to be a magic based Destruction army, will have a little wait before working on warscrolls because new edition coming and all.
    Still planning the amount of units, maybe 2-3 Heroes and the rest being 4-5 units, all depends.

Ritual likes this.
  11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I’m looking forward to seeing what race your army is, and how it will be named! :)

little-myth likes this.
  12. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Waaagghhhh magic is best magic

13. little-myth
    Carnasaur

First look at some concept sketches of two grand heroes. Will it be a Manipulator or a Master of Beasts (these are placeholder names for time being)
    destruction 2 heroes.png
    The Manipulator is more model that buffs your army, also has an access to a unique spell of placing special stones on the battlefield, which helps out the army.
    The Master of Beasts is also a wizard, but more focused on the monsters and beasts. Whether by buff or summon, it's all his specialty. Unless it's a hero on monster, he can't do that.

Both have these strange stones imbedded in them. (Feels like Skaven)

Looks like their saves are not that good due to the lack of armour but that fine layer of strange magic on their skin helps them out a bit.

Appearance of the army all around, these are like strange lizards, just without the scales and the tails.
    Now time to see what you all think about these rough ideas so far for these two

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Very nice!

Is it me or does the Manipulator look very feminine? You could design the lore of the army to revolve around the females being very strong in the magical arts and being dominant over their male kin, with the Manipulator being a sorceress commander or something, while the Master of Beasts could be more like a minor priest.

I am really interested in seeing how this all goes on - I’ve been doing several unofficial armies myself (although they’re for Warhammer Fantasy not AoS) and have been writing full scale books for them. You might want to consider doing something similar with an unofficial AoS Battletome for your army. Then you’ll be able to document all your lore and special rules in one place. I haven’t been able to do much in terms of my unofficial army books lately but keep watching my unofficial army book thread, the Great Library, and have a look at some of my works when they appear - I’ll post a reply to it whenever I post a new unofficial army book up there. You never know, some of my works may inspire you! ;)

little-myth likes this.
  15. little-myth
    Carnasaur

I think it's because I did that slim body with the slight hip going on :joyful: From how it's planned so far, looks like the Manipulator is far more superior to the Master of Beasts in terms of spells and the summoning of stones.
    Do need to think of a summoning system for the Master of Beasts, having access to a monster from the army and the other destruction monsters, inspired by a Bray Shaman with that slight restriction with the Master not being able to summon those with a hero keyword. The Master will also be able to take a specific unit as battleline if he is General. More info on that unit in the future.

Yes please, would love to have a look when they appear. I am aiming for an Unofficial Battletome, close to a proper one if I can. Just need to work on that type of style they use for their art.

16. little-myth
    Carnasaur

A little strange concept here but I wanted it doodled down, not a battleline unit. Some strange critters
    unit1.png

In a debate whether to give them proper faces as I want to try to use as much GW bits as I can. I have plenty of Skulls, I do also have a good amount of other heads, that kinda trips into that slight disturbing territory though giving some of them Skaven heads or elves... I mostly have those two types of heads.
    Possible origin critters of the main creatures themselves?

17. Dragonfire
    Cold One

Dragonfire Well-Known Member

An army of quadrupeds would be fairly unique! :) As for Destruction, what's their motivation to destroy everything in their path?

Maybe they're descended from lizardmen who didn't leave with the rest of their race when the world ended? Maybe the southern contingent from near the Border Princes? And going through into the new world they were forced to rapidly evolve and change?

18. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Still working out their motives, unless these strange stones they have drives them that bit into a frenzy. But they need that bit more motive than that haha
    Also working out their backstory fluff, your ideas sound really good though. How most models are going to be using Seraphon as a base, like the skinks.

19. Dragonfire
    Cold One

Dragonfire Well-Known Member

Thanks! I design games for a living. Which means that instead of learning pointless things like "Math" and "Science" I learned how to create fantasy races.

That's why I have tens of thousands of dollars!

(of debt)

(and minis)

20. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Okay, need to try and keep this updated. I went quiet fully on this project cause AoP distracted me for that moment. I decided to ask myself a few questions to answer about this race. A little bit of stuff about them first
    Dwellers of the forest of the Old World, these creatures all start out in a larval form and grow at a rapid rate over time. Some growing on a different path in their lifespan.
    • What realm are they from? They are from the realm of life, forever lurking in the undergrowth, hunting down their precious stones. They are usually harmless, unless you cross their path or enter their territory, they are lead to believe you are looking for the stones they are searching for. Sylvaneth have a dislike towards them as they have a habit of leaving ruin as they claw away trying to search.
    • What are these stones? Strange stones that they seem to love so much, these stones contain magical properties. They use to give themselves magical powers or to quicken the growth rate. Commonly seen with Chiefs, implanted into them. At least they are more safe than Warpstone
    • What can the Master of Beasts summon? A Master of Beasts can summon any Monster/Behemoth from the Destruction army. The only thing he can't summon is a Monster with the 'Hero' keyword.

Right that is some of the questions, if you have any please ask away. Questions help prompt my mind. :)