1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Elf cold ones?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Stormfrog, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Stormfrog
    Saurus

Stormfrog New Member

So,

Along with most of the Lizardmen comunity, im of the opinion that the lizardmen cold ones look a little, how shall I put it... not the sharpest arrow in the quiver. I really like the concept of cold one cavalry, and was therefore thinking about exhanging the cold ones for the much better looking Dark Elf ones.

Has anyone done this before, and can tell me if it works out well?

Warden likes this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

DSC08099.jpg
    4783852816_179c69e703_b.jpg

Andrea Mangoni likes this.
  3. Stormfrog
    Saurus

Stormfrog New Member

Thanks! That looks brilliant!

Did you just file away the underlying saddle to make the saurus saddle fit over it, or?

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

They aren't mine, but Yea I expect they filed off the elf bits.

5. GnomeRage
    Skink

GnomeRage New Member

I cut the saddles off mine and filled it with green stuff. The saurus cav legs are too wide, so when you glue them, youll have to have some gaps where the legs meet. I glued the torso on, and filed the gaps with greenstuff.

spess and Warden like this.
  6. Jabroniville
    Skink

Jabroniville New Member

Yeah, it's a bit of work to do, I would imagine. Me, I'm just waiting for the next edition Lizardmen book to come out- they'll probably give us new Saurus Cavalry then! Not sure what other models in the range we'd even need!

7. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

Hey, I have a pretty long and drawn out conversion going on (I started it about a week before my wedding and that was... two and a half years ago :jawdrop: )... I'm a full-time student and work a lot to pay off... everything XD So it's taken me a while but don't think that the conversion will.. I had all (5) of my DE cold ones shaved down and 'green-stuffed' up in one night so it shouldn't be that bad. Some people here might recognize my handiwork from my old account (which thanks my terrible memory I can't access.... :oops: ) but I'll post a couple pics to give an idea of what it looks like...

002.jpg

Here's another shot from the side to show a little of the 'neck' extension that needed to be done:

DSC_0948.jpg

Warden likes this.
  8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Damn! That is what a cold one should look like!

9. Stormfrog
    Saurus

Stormfrog New Member

Those are some really nice cold ones you got there. Although from the size of them, I doubt they rank up very well. Still, im going for the simpler conversion of just cutting away the dark elf saddle and adding the saurus really.

Im almost certain that we wont. The saurus cavalry is a relativly new and advanced plastic set. GW has yet to replace a single multi part plastic set, I mean, the VC zombies and Dark elf warriors are the oldest ones out there, and they are still hanging around. GW will focus on replacing finecast and metal models with plastic ones before they start remaking models that are fairly up to date and plastic already.

So if you want decent looking cold ones in the forseeable future, i'd say use the dark elf ones...

Warden likes this.
  10. Foxtrot
    Skink

Foxtrot New Member

I am planning to do so, but the Elf Kit only has 5 to my 7 riders, what the hell do I do about this?

Warden likes this.
  11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Unless you can cast some more cold ones, maybe a bits site?

Hoard of bits is currently out of stock on Dark Elf Cold Ones... but they have plenty of Lizardmen ones! And they are cheaper...

12. spess
    Cold One

spess Well-Known Member

Doing this conversion myself too. I just buy cheap cold ones off of ebay and strip the paint.

Bowser and Warden like this.
  13. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I have too and using the metal riders, I've even got a tut somewhere on how to do it, will have a look this evening.

n810 likes this.
  14. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Holy crap @Rikard the thought of using the metal riders never even crossed my mind that looks so much better and they fit so well 20160808_083548.jpg

spess and Bowser like this.
  15. Andrea Mangoni
    Saurus

Andrea Mangoni Active Member

Also I, I'm workink on this kind of conversion. I think however that the dark elf cokd ones could be better as horned ones more than cold ones...

IMG_20160811_162620.jpg

16. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

I initially bought the 6th Ed metal riders to use on Dark Elf Cold Ones, but one I finally got the Cold Ones, I actually didn't like the way they fit as much. The overall pose is great - leaning forward into the charge - but their legs seemed all wrong, because they were made to sit on top of the fat old Cold Ones, so the legs don't hang down around the sides at all. They don't look like they would realistically stay on the mount. IMG_1482.JPG
    I cut off the whole top of the saddle, and filed down the bottom of the saddle to try and get him sitting at the angle I want him to be at. So now I've tried using a regular old Saurus Warrior, and I'm much happier with the results. He's not glued on yet, so some glue and putty will make him sit a little more upright.
    IMG_1480.JPG IMG_1478.JPG IMG_1479.JPG

I cut the tabs off the bottom of the feet, and pulled the back leg forward. The legs, if fitted tightly to the Saurus torso, are too tight to ride the CO, but I just glued the leg on in such a way that it angled outward a little. It leaves each foot at a different angle compared to the leg, but it doesn't strike me as egregious, so I'm going to leave it.
    IMG_1484.JPG IMG_1485.JPG

I also like the proportions better on the Saurus Warrior - the leaning Saurus CO Rider looks like too much weight, too far forward for the raptor to actually carry him. And you can see that I left the front of the saddle, so between that, less gap-filling, and no filing, it's a much faster conversion, as well. This guy is my prototype, hopefully I'll have a unit to show off at some point!

Attached Files:

Jorgik, Bowser, Bracnos and 1 other person like this.
  17. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

yea the metal cold ones ride in more of a drag bike position
    [​IMG]

compared to the current cruiser style seating of the current ones.
    [​IMG]

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  18. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

You're very welcome, it's a little more challenging though, which does suck a bit.

19. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

And again I see more reason as to why I'm happy I joined this community ideas and conversations lie this love it I will have to try this myself as well

Jorgik likes this.
  20. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Of course, I play T9A, in which Raptor Riders come with lances...so I might have to knock off some hand weapon-arms and replace them with spears. One more factor to consider!

I've started regularly fielding a Saurian Warlord with Paired Weapons on a Raptor, so that conversion will probably be on its way; and of course, I want to create a Great Weapon-wielding Saurian character as well. So I may need more Raptors.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.