1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Do they Sky Titans have a direct Old Ones connection?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, May 3, 2016.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Are the now extinct Sky Titans direct descendants of the Old Ones? Do they have any other direct connection to the Old Ones. That came up as a tangent in another discussion, but I thought the idea was interesting enough to warrant it's own discussion.

Warden and Bowser like this.
  2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Umm, who / when were the Sky Titans? Said the Griffin who is notorious for skimming past fluff in army books. (And I never bought any of the End Time books).

Bowser likes this.
  3. Scalenex
    Slann

They are covered in the Big Red Book. They were giants, really big, really smart really advanced giants that lived in the eastern mountain ranges. Probably is they were loners so they didn't work together. When the Ogres made their migration westward, the Sky Titans were in their way. They thought "Let's eat these titans and take their stuff."

A lot of Ogres best war machines and weapons are basically salvaged from the Sky Titan's trash heaps. How did the stupid Ogres beat them? Because the Sky Titans were loners and didn't cooperate their defenses until it was far too late.

Games Workshop basically wanted to have a noble and wise people overcome by barbarians because that's their schtick.

Warden and Bowser like this.
  4. Xholankha the lost one
    Chameleon Skink

Xholankha the lost one Well-Known Member

well in a book i have just read, sky titans do exist but are:
    a) dwindiling and dying out
    b) they live in albion
    c) some are tainted by chaos

the origional concept of a sky titan was to protect sites of great power,
    the forge of the old ones
    the Oogham stones
    etc etc

yes there were many sky giants around the world but like you said most were killed by the ogres and some fled to locations unknows(ind, or nippon?)
    but they mainly dwell in albion hence why it is called a dangerous and mystic island.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

What kind of attitude do Sky titans have to outsiders? Is it a "Kill them all!" approach or is it more peaceful?

6. Scalenex
    Slann

I'm pretty sure their response to outsiders is "Hey you! Get off of my lawn!" But they don't really care about anything outside their territory and don't bother people who don't bother them.

Warden likes this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Isn't that @Crowsfoot 's line?

Is there any lore that states where the giants come from, other than the debased descendants of the sky-titans of the mountains of mourn? Lizardmen were created by the Old Ones, then they made Elves, Dwarves, Humans, later Ogres and Halflings in a half-ditched attempt to stave off the forces of chaos. Orks (just kidding) Orcs and Goblins showed up from outer-space spores or something, skaven and beastmen are mutant abberations, where do the sky titans fit in?

I always imagined the sky-titans are similar to the ancient greek gods like Zeus, Athena, and the other gods on Mt. Olympus, but since in the WH world they are located in the not-Himalayas they would have a Tibetan vibe (think awesome houses like the Potala Palace)

potala palace.jpg

But where did they come from? Are they another attempt of the Old Ones' to defeat the powers of Chaos, OR are they the old ones just hidden away from the rest of the world?

The chaos gods defeated the Old Ones, and the Old Ones disappeared, but maybe they didn't go into space and just hid themselves away on top of the most inhospitable location on the world, on top of mile-high mountains far from the weeping sores of the broken polar gates. Stripped of their powers, they just spent their time making art and tiny Buddha statues, until some hungry ogres showed up and destroyed their fortresses of solitude...

But if the surviving Old Ones marooned on the planet just went into hiding, why didn't the slann ever make contact with them? Maybe the slann didn't realize some of the Old Ones remained on the planet?

So many questions...

Rikard, SlanntaClause and Bowser like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Too polite for me......

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I believe Dragons and possibly Sky Titians where the original inhabitants of Warhammer world. :oldman::pompus:

SlanntaClause and Warden like this.
  10. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Aargh! Why! I desperately need to do revision and you throw that amazing idea in my face! My fingers are itching to start typing! Why! Why me!?

11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

This all seems like a multi level marketing retconning scheme.

Originally Ogres were these creatures of fantasy that existed in a fantasy world for the same reason there are trolls and hippogriffs. There could be units of them. Either as mercenaries or as auxiliaries for The Empire.

Then somebody had the bright idea that the Ogres needed to be their own army. A Retcon level later they originated somewhere beyond the mountains and toward Cathay. Second retcon level later there's a war with the Cloud Giants who are Sky Titans by another name.

Warden likes this.
  12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That might very well be true. Looking at some of the wiki sources (sadly I don't have copies of either High Elf or Ogre Kingdoms) it looks like the original inhabitants of the warhammer world were:

dragons (probably the first intelligent beings in the warhammer world, albeit not humanoid)
    dragon ogre-shaggoths (corrupted dragons who sold their souls to the forces of chaos before the chaos gods were unleashed upon the world, see picture...)

and various other giant beasties like:

dinosaurs (ancestors of the Lustrian stegadons, carnosaurs, thunder lizards, etc) running around in some equatorial jungles, and
    mammoths and stonehorns running around the rest of the world which was trapped in an ice age.

I haven't found anything specific about giants though, or specifically where sky titans came from in the lore, other than what has already been posted from the Ogre Kingdoms book. From a non-fluff perspective I think what @pendrake said is right, they were retconned into the background to give the ogres someone noble to munch on as they plowed their way through the mountains of mourn.

Anyone have access to stuff from the old Albion campaign? They had a lot of giants running around making stone circles in the lore (Ogham Circles), I am curious to see if that campaign had anything else to add for where giants came from.

Attached Files:

13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

There was something about Albion giants being particularly, extra dim. (Check for stupidity on three dice?) And they could chuck boulders; they were walking catapults.

There was fluff about them hurling boulders from the cliffs to drive off ships.

14. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

There was this thing that happened with a British or American explorer, who landed on an island and was worshipped as a god by the local tribes. He lived the high life. Then, when he tried to leave, his ship got blown back into the bay. This proved he wasnt a god in the eyes of the natives. He got eaten as a punishment. Make of that little story what you will.

Edit - it was a famous British explorer named Captain Cook. Google it or something.

SlanntaClause likes this.
  15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

:meh:
    That was a misscharacterization at best:
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/captain-cook-killed-in-hawaii

Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  16. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Oh. :meh:
    It's still a valid point about the old ones and the slann, though.

Bowser likes this.
  17. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Another enlightening conversation and an intriguing one I like the sound of these Sky Titans

Otzi'mandias and Bowser like this.