1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. General %50 Herohammer Discussion

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by PlasmaDavid, Nov 2, 2014.

1. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Apologies if there was already a thread, but I thought somewhere to generally discuss the new army selection changes would be good.

For those living under a Stegadon, the big rule book has been FAQ'd so now you can take up to %50 Lords and %50 heroes in your army. Which means more Slann.... Or alternatively UNITS OF SKINK CHIEFS!

Seriously, I wonder if a unit of Chiefs would be lulzy and in any way effective.

2. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

And then you roll lousy for the winds of magic and channeling and you have to divide 6-7 dice between the two of them!!

And you will have a unit of slightly faster and way more expensive Saurus, that yields VP for every dead skink?

3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I do not know what the intentions of the GW writers were, but the way my gaming group sees the new Lords and Heroes is this:

Yes, you could field an army that's 75% characters, but what we plan to do is make lists largely like before, but if we think if only I had a few more points, I could fit in an Old Blood on foot in my TG bunker, now we can.

Basically, if we might go 30% or 35% Lords or Heroes, but we aren't going to push too hard.

4. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

The very clear verdict is that no, this is not a boon for playing in a competitive manner.

So I guess this thread was made more towards a "because we can, and it might be wacky" concept.

5. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

With the new rules, I've found myself building the lists that I've wanted to build for a long time: 30-40% in either Lords or Heroes.

25% was so inhibitive...

6. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

For Lizardmen I don't see the 50% lord allowance making a big impact on our list building. All our Lord choices are expensive when tooled up and in my opinion don't lend themselves well for duplicates.

For Slann, yes they're good and it's cool having multiple L4 casters with your pick of lores but if you take WD or Loremaster High then that slann is going to be chowing down on your power dice. A poor winds roll would leave you with a huge point sink in your army. I personally wouldn't run multiples unless playing Storm of Magic.

Tooled up Oldbloods are awesome, but can get pretty pricey. Depending on how you're running them you might be better off with multiple scar vets. Even with a 50% allowance you will still only fit two, maybe three of these guys and that's taking points from elsewhere in your list.

I think the 50% lord allowance is going to be far more beneficial to armies that rely on (or exploit) their Lords choices for maximum impact. Maybe Warriors drop a Chimera for a second Prince? Maybe another Tyrant in a gutstar? I don't know, honestly I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to other armies and how they use their lords!

7. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I'm very excited about this for my stegadon list which i couldn't fit the 2 heroes I wanted.
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/stegadon-tribute-list.15283/

Yes please. I absolutely love skink priests on foot. Some of my favorite models. But you did mean, 5 chiefs joined by 10 skinks right? They didn't FAQ so that heroes form a unit did they?

8. heuningby
    Saurus

heuningby Member

I beg to differ. A tooled up oldblood on a CO comes in at around 270-280 points. This ranges from the S7 T6 1+/4++ OTS tough guy to the piranha build that can easily do 9 wounds to an Arachnarok in one phase. These guys don't come close to being expensive in any sense of the word. I regularly run the tough guy on his own into savage big'un hordes and they have yet to kill him.

If you play a skink cloud with tetto' ekko list then having a couple of oldbloods and multiple scarvets as your punch is very competitive imo.

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

I'm exactly the same. A fully kitted OB and Slann is now possible without compromising any of them. I'm certainly not going to derp around with 5+ SVs just because I can.

I think the highest I've ever had under current rules was 2 OB and 2 SV in a bus and it destoyed everything it touched, more or less.

10. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Just to weigh in here, I'm looking at taking double Slann and double Oldblood to Blood and Glory later this month, in doing so maxing out my Lords allowance :D

List & discussion can be found here. Comments welcome!

11. Saurian
    Skink

Saurian Member

Ultimately I'd like to take 2 Lvl2 Skink Priests (one on Beasts, one Heavens), Slann on Life, 1 SV in COC, 1SV on Carno.

12. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

Heroes can join together to make units. When I ran tetto, I would normally start the game with my OB CO and scarvet CO make a unit so I only had to use 1 of my D3 vanguard to get them up the table.
    And one of the dirtiest abuses I've seen was like 34 night goblin big bosses. It's monstrously abusive in the things you can do.

13. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Really? How is that abusive? That's an easy block to kill, especially for us. High Lore, Fiery Convocation, bam, you just killed a ton of them. Run a cold one bus into it with a few characters in it, and it'll crumble in seconds as you get in a an easy charge, take down a few of them, and win by a landslide, causing their horrible Ld to make them flee and hopefully get overrun.

Also, 1020 points for those 34 naked characters is insane. I simply can't see it ever being worth it, honestly. It's a unit waiting to get slaughtered.

14. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

You fiery it, the one that you targeted leaves the unit. You would most likely start as 2 or 3 blocks. Depends on what you are vsing. but they can all go their seperate ways if they want to. Big soul quench would likely do more dmg. Scary horde coming your way, use one to redirect the whole block. there's so much abuse to be had.

15. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

doesn't fiery convocation target the whole unit?

16. Madrck
    Temple Guard

Madrck Member

Probably need to ask the rules section, it's all a little complicated for my brain now. The way characters work they are no longer affected by fiery if they would leave a normal unit. So if you break the whole unit apart (which you can do in a turn) would fiery cease to effect anything? In my ignorance I thought it would stay with the targeted model but this may not be the case.
    I will also never field anything like this, it was just something that came up when we were talking about 50% lord/hero abuse.

17. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

Doesn't matter anyway, because the entire unit will still take a hit before he gets a chance to leave. Fiery Convocation deals 34. Soul Quench have no chance of doing that many hits.

Though unless I recall wrong, their S isn't all that great either, so you could also just throw dwellers on them.