1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Huanata'Kor remembers

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Huanata'Kor, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Huanata'Kor
    Skink

Huanata'Kor Active Member

Hi All,

I've collected and painted for a good few years now, however I've never done a painting blog before and being as I'm starting up a new Lizardmen army once again, I thought this would be the right time to produce my first painting log.

All in all I wasn't best pleased when Warhammer Fantasy was scrapped and AoS came into existence and I've been focussing on 40k ever since then, however the draw to "fantasy" is still too strong and I've decided along with a few of my mates to build and paint a Sigmar army.

Lizardmen have always been one of my favourite armies ever since I got the old Lizardmen/Bretonnian Warhammer fantasy set back in the day so naturally I chose Lizardmen (I know they're Seraphon now, but still Lizardmen to me).

I have an old edition Lizardmen army book which tells you the translation of various Lizardmen words and so decided on Huanata'Kor for my Slann's name which consists of the words Majestic Moon and Prophecy in the Lizardmen dialect.

I'm not really a major fan of the fluff either that only the Slann are alive and that all other Seraphon are "remembered" into existence and so therefore for my own personal fluff, I believe that Huanata'Kor and his loyal bodyguard of Saurus Guard and his favoured Eternity Warden, travel the different realms in response to lost signals that they pick up of other surviving Lizardmen. This seems feasible to me and also allows me to experiment with my colour pallet for different units to emphasise the different spawnings of old.

Anyway without me waffling on any longer I've got some WIP's shots of my Slann and the finished model, pretty pleased with him and really enjoyed painting the model, next up will be a converted skink priest and some Saurus guard to form Huanata'kor's loyal followers.
    84AAB781-852E-4795-BF5B-BBB2B7F18EEA.jpeg 10F3BB86-7621-4BCD-B903-276C78476879.jpeg D55C9D9F-2C88-47DC-81B1-DDE9DCDE9F62.jpeg 0B9FDE35-FFDC-4337-95BF-2CF77CB82367.jpeg B707AF78-8AC7-455F-928A-8EF74B6301A9.jpeg 7B807156-7B0F-4649-83C4-A1B9AEF7655F.jpeg

Hope you all like and any comments and criticism are welcome. Hopefully the next post wont be as long :)

Thanks

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Nicely Done, I love all the extra attention to the basing.
    Oh and Welcome to Lustria.

Captaniser, Huanata'Kor and Ritual like this.
  3. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, look forward to seeing more.

Captaniser and Huanata'Kor like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!
    That's a beautiful Slann. :)

Ritual, Captaniser and Huanata'Kor like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Looking good! :)

Ritual, Captaniser and Huanata'Kor like this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Welcome aboard.

Great start to your painting blog and I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Ritual, Huanata'Kor and Captaniser like this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Well done! Agreed that base looks good, and the colors you made really look fantastic. I like the double-colors on the skink (and the slann)

Ritual and Huanata'Kor like this.
  8. Huanata'Kor
    Skink

Thank you all for your comments and welcoming me to Lustria, greatly appreciated. :happy:

@n810 I like to try and bring extra attention to the bases, especially of my characters as I just feel it makes the miniatures "come to life" more, I do however try and look for easy ways to base so it doesn't take up too much of my time lol and this is the tried and tested dried herbs technique with a few left over wood elf treeman parts added to the mix.

@Warden this whole army is hopefully going to be an experiment in glazing, hence the double colours. Almost all of the Slann and skink were painted by successive layers of glazes which I am quite pleased with the final effect, in fact with the skinks colouring I think I may actually do a unit of skinks in these colours.

Hoping to get one of my skink priests posted later today and have started work on a unit of saurus guard.

Warden, n810, Aginor and 2 others like this.
  9. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Thats a beautify done piece, love the base work and you say that was all glazing wow.

Also im wth you in the fluff but i did here once the slann remember the lizards into existence. They done poof after battle, they stay alive.

So apparently there are now "new" seraphon building temple citys once again.

Huanata'Kor and Ritual like this.
  10. Huanata'Kor
    Skink

@Bracnos other than the basecoat which was rakarth flesh for both the slann and the skink, and a slight wash of seraphim sepia to begin with, the skin colours were all built up using lots of layers of glazes. The palanquin and details of the mini were painted normally however.
    This makes me happy and I'd defo run with this, I kind of feel as though the Slann are starting again being as their original "quest" in the old word failed due to the end times and now they have come back even more focussed to rid the world of Chaos and essentially begin the "re-birth" of the thriving Lustria of old :happy:

Warden and Ritual like this.
  11. Huanata'Kor
    Skink

Ok so here is my converted skink priest from an old skink handler model, I have named him Chuq'zec which again roughly translates as magic thief and his staff "ack ack" (95% done, just needs his base finishing off)

Bit of fluff that I've made up for this guy in regards to his staff, is that once in the old age while battling the undead, Chuq'zec witness hexwraiths materialize from thin air and immediately deemed them to be extensively magical beings and therefore being the little magic thief that he is decided he needed to obtain this power. He ordered a nearby unit of saurus guard to attack one of the cornered hexwraiths and in uttering an ancient incantation he managed to remove the ethereal aspect of the hexwraith which promptly resulted in it being decapitated.
    He then attached the decapitated head to the top of his staff, however the staffs head still believes its "alive" and mutters odd words, the only one of which Chuq'zec has made out is "ack ack" so he has therefore given this name to his staff :)
    AAAF1316-073C-4AE6-A1B7-694A2B4CC7C9.jpeg A1E6162E-763A-4688-834C-77F611858CED.jpeg

Also WIP pic of one of the saurus guard, working on the skin tone again with glazes
    712ACFF6-43C8-4BA5-A9C3-1710E7B8C1A1.jpeg

hopefully will have the 5 man unit done by the end of the week. Thanks all

12. Aginor
    Slann

Man your skin tones look so.... true-to-live!

NIGHTBRINGER, Ritual and Huanata'Kor like this.
  13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Nice use of a Hex wraith head ;)

How do you feel about building tones with glazes?

I'm doing 99% of my Maggotkin the same way, white primer, glaze coats, drybrush, finish, It's a very fast way to produce great looking models with little effort.

Ritual and Huanata'Kor like this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

I did only very few models that way myself. my Spirit Hosts and parts of my Slann and Troglodon are tinted only using shades and glazes, and no regular paint.

not nearly close to the quality we see in this thread though.

The main problem with that technique for me is that some glazes and shades added together result in unexpected tones (because of the low opacity) so you either have to be a gambler and just put it on, or make tests beforehand.

Crowsfoot, Ritual and Huanata'Kor like this.
  15. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Amazing! Great job!

Crowsfoot, Ritual and Huanata'Kor like this.
  16. Huanata'Kor
    Skink

Thanks all

@Crowsfoot Do you mean do I enjoy the technique? I built the tones on the skin using glazes, they were built up using a variation of greens and yellows over rakarth flesh basecoat. I think that the variation in tone each layer gives creates that more "natural look" to the minis.

@Aginor I guess I'm just a bit of a chancer then, however I tend to find that even if a colour crops up that you don't like, you can usually glaze it back out again if that makes sense. :)

Crowsfoot, Aginor and Ritual like this.
  17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yes do you enjoy it, I love the technique it gives you so much flexability.

It's worth the time invested in learning what each shade will do, for example I have 30 plague bearers on the go, all primed white, 10 will have 2 coats of Anthonian camo, 10 will have 2 coats of Seraphim Sepia and 10 will have 2 coats of Drakenhoff Nightshade, all drybrushed and then you add Druchii violet and Carroburn crimson around wounds etc.

Aginor, Huanata'Kor and Ritual like this.
  18. Aginor
    Slann

Sounds good....

Crowsfoot likes this.
  19. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

Those skin tones are truly amazing !

Such a great work on the basing too! Welcome and KEEP POSTING!

Crowsfoot and Huanata'Kor like this.
  20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Love the skink with the skull staff, and I am liking the green color direction you are going with that Temple Guard, he is looking great!

Crowsfoot, Huanata'Kor and Aginor like this.