1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog JORGIK´s work table

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Jorgik, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Same here, I need to decide what to sell on and what to keep, I'm starting 40k and I will take my time and keep the army small but first I need to clear out 3 or 4 of my current armies.

NIGHTBRINGER, Warden and Jorgik like this.
  2. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Which 40k army?:artist:

Warden likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Grey Knights and I'm researching the Salamander chapter

Jorgik and Warden like this.
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

You're really bouncing around between games! Fantasy to AoS to KoW to 40K! :p

Jorgik likes this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Break did me good, KOW and 40K only, keeping 2 armies for each.

Jorgik and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So AoS is fully dead? I figured it might have a resurgence with the drop of the General's Handbook.

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I need to prioritize what I want from the hobby and pushing 200 single models around is not for me hence KOW and 40K, 1500 point army is only 30 models which is doable, also I have meet a guy 20 minutes from me that plays 40k and wants to try KOW so win win.

tom ndege and Jorgik like this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That works!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Alright, my thoughts on the army redesigning:

So far I have decided upon the army name, the general paint scheme and a little fluff:

The army name will be The followers of K´utz´am, being K´utz´am the slann that will play in my games as mazmamundi . The name means K´u - sacred, tz´am - throne (thanks @Warden for the glyphs :p).
    The fluff: The army is be based before the ET. The lizards live in Zakahtl, an abandoned city that a group of 10 skinks found when they were returning from a recognition mission in the south of Lustria. The city is located in the South of Lustria, in the North of the night Forest, on the slope of a mountain in the Spine of sotek, where two perpendicular lines of power meet. (Those of you who have the 8th ed. AB will hopefully be able to locate it :D). The ruins where of a huge city, and in the biggest chamber of the biggest pyramid at the very top of the mountain they found the wrappings of a long dead Slann, whose magical will seemed to be similar to that rumored to be Lord Kroak´s (still need to decide a name for this dead slann, who will be obviously playing as Kroak :p). Nearby, the city spawning pools were discovered to be active by their constant bubbling, though no trace of recent spawnings was present. When the skink patrol came back Mazmamundi went himself to Zakahtl, accompanied by his long time only apprentice K´utz´am. Amazed by the dimensions of the place he decided to rebuild the city in the hope it would help contain any daemon attack from the Southern wastes. After a long time, after the initial skink patrol had died of age, and after K´utz´am had finished his training, Mazmamundi considered his job done when from the ever-bubbling spawning pools rose ten skinks identical to the discoverers of the city.

The paint scheme:

R&F scheme.jpg

Close to my old one, I kept the black at the bottom, orange at the top, the metallic shields and the green eyes, althought they have different recipes now. It was mainly based on @neveroddoreven ´s scale painting style of leaving the scales dark and the skin in between bright :p.I also came up with a regiment leader marking:

Regiment leaders scheme.jpg

Just paint the central scales white. My old scheme had all the models with white scales, but I like it more this way.

Lords and heroes scheme.jpg

And this is for Lords and heroes. Skinks will have white crests and sauruses white head-tops .

As you can see I also changed the basing (I kept square bases, I just used a round one for the test because I wanted to get rid of them :p). I started to put cork bark and clump foliage and I think it looks very good: Muddy ground with wet rocks and plants growing everywhere. On bigger bases I´ll include logs and plastic plants so they fit with my scenery.:D

I have started to work on those skink discoverers second spawing, so should have pictures of them soon ;). Hope you liked the fluff and the scheme. Comments welcome!!

Jorgik

Ps: I added an index! :woot:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

In the north! This is a great colour scheme and amazing fluff! I am definitely looking forward to more! Get to work! This is awesome!

Jorgik likes this.
  11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Wow, color me impressed. :artist:
    love the muted realistic scheme,
    love the coloring outside the usual lines with the orange,
    love the scratches on the shield (why didn't I think of that).

Jorgik and Bowser like this.
  12. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    And extra thanks! Edited it already!

Bowser likes this.
  13. Stefblo
    Saurus

Stefblo Active Member

Wow. Interesting and precisly described fluff. Color scheme is hilarious. I am tired of bright blue or green skinks. Every time I see dark ones I am amazed. Keep more stuff coming :)

Edit: May I ask how did you paint this skink? What colours have you used? I have tried similar colour scheme years ago, but with black and yellow and I wasn't able to achive that good results.

Jorgik and Warden like this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Very nice Skink, I love the transitions will you add any extreme highlights?

Jorgik likes this.
  15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

:D

I like the name K'utz'am! "Sacred throne," cool name! Nice bit of fluff you have created here! Also enjoyed the color scheme of your skinks, very curious what a unit of them will look like together!

edit: also, nice index.

Jorgik likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is a very interesting painting scheme; I would have never thought about something like that. It looks fantastic! :) Glad you decided to go with squares for basing. ;)

Warden and Jorgik like this.
  17. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Thanks all!! The first spawning will be coming soon. I´ve already finished painting 3 out of 10, so it will be finished hopefully by Saturday. I went on tuesday to the GW for some paints and I was told that the armies on parade is on 15th october!. The store manager told me I could present the board I just did, even if it´s over sized (1m by 0.5m, and the limit is 0.65 by 0.65 :p). So trying to finish small units fast! I calculated I have 5 weeks, and I told myself I needed to do at least one unit per week :D
    I don´t think so. I tried with the scales but I hated the look of it, as I always do too thick highlights. Maybe with some important hero I do so on the skin, but that´d be it. ;)
    Sure!
    Here, it´s a long one, even though I tried to keep it simple :confused:. I took me 3 hours (actually 2 and 3/4) to paint it, but the three skinks I´ve painted took me only 6 hours in total.

Black skin
    Leave the Black priming Spray
    2. Eshin Grey – Smooth transition to bring out muscle
    3. Codex Grey [old GW paint, the closest current one is called Dawnstone] – Smooth transition to bring out muscle
    4. Nuln Oil – Wash (not too heavy but not too light)

Orange skin and scales
    Mournfang Brown – Basecoat (can be omitted, this is just so the orange is not painted on black)
    2. Orange Brown [Vallejo] – Basecoat (if the mournfang brown base coat was emitted, then you will provably need 3 or 4 layers instead of 1 or 2)
    3. Scorched Brown [old GW paint, the closest current one is called Rhinox Hide] – Basecoat, only for scales. I also free-hand paint a few small ones where I consider there is too much plain orange.
    4. Agrax Earthshade – Only the head and would-be dark areas (like the belly folds)
    5. Orange Brown [Vallejo] – Head highlight
    6. Agrax Earthshade – Head wash
    7. Orange Brown + Fire Dragon Bright – Head highlight
    8. Nuln Oil – Darken scales, try to avoid painting on the bright orange

Shield and spiky bits
    Boltgun Metal [old GW paint, the closest current one is called Leadbelcher]Basecoat
    2. Runefang Steel – Zenithal highlight
    3. Nuln Oil – Overall wash, allowing for pooling on the shield´s scales to contribute to the zenithal highlighting

Bronze details (Javelin handle, decorative bracelets...)
    Tin Bitz [old GW paint, the closest current one is called Warplock Bronze] Basecoat
    2. Nuln Oil - Wash

Eyes
    Scorpion Green [old GW paint, the closest current one is called Moot Green]Basecoat
    2. Nuln Oil – Wash
    3. Abbadon black – Pupil line
    4. Scorpion Green [Moot Green]– Highlight near the pupil to maximize contrast

Teeth and Nails
    Pallid Witch Flesh – Paint on the primer just like that

Base
    Mournfang Brown – Basecoat for the dirt
    2. Scorched Brown [Rhinox Hide] – Basecoat for the cork stones and base border
    3. Agrax Earthshade – Wash for the dirt
    4. Nuln Oil – Wash for the cork stones (two coats) and for the base edge (allow for a bit of pooling)
    5. Camo Green [old GW paint, the closest current one is called Elysian Green]Paint in rock fold to represent moss
    6. Scorpion Green [Moot Green] – Paint in rock fold to represent moss
    7. Administratum Grey – Dry brush on cork rocks, leave sides unbrushed
    8. Glue clump foliage

Hope it helps, I usually apply all the Nuln Oil (bronze, silver, cork rocks...) simultaneously to save time. :)

Oh and for the white scales for leaders just paint Pallid Witch Flesh directly over the Nuln-Oil-washed Scorched Brown, leaving the lower part still with the original scale colour.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    enzo_g, Janf, Nefertem and 5 others like this.
  18. Stefblo
    Saurus

Stefblo Active Member

Thanks a lot Jorgik ;)! I will surely try out something similar :)

Jorgik likes this.
  19. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Fast update!

Finally finished the first regiment using the new scheme!

IMG_20160828_183800.jpg

IMG_20160828_184322.jpg

This is the fastest unit I have ever finished in my life, it took me only 6 days including both building and painting, and would have provably been able to finish it in 5 but had some friends over for a whole day. I also managed to have the skinks have troubles ranking up despite being skirmishers :banghead::hurting:, but that´s not a big of a problem :joyful:.

Peana Tetto´eko.jpg

I also redecorated my Tetto´eko´s base (still need to find a self-made name for him). I just changed the base edge and added clump foliage so it´d fit my army. I didn´t need to change anything else as the rest fits with the new army too :p.

And I also primed my next project: 20 saurus.

IMG_20160829_134416.jpg

16 normal saurus and 4 carrying a massive standard. These had been assembled during last year´s summer so I only have to paint them now :D. You can also see 4 round bases with banners. These are to try the banner colour scheme and after I´ll use them as objective markers for games :p.

More about the armies on parade: I got it wrong earlier and I had 7 weeks, not 5 so that means I´ll hopefully have more units on the table :woot:. I am planning on completing 10 infantry models per week, which means, on average, around two days for building and 5 for painting, 2 models per day. Even though the skinks took me 6 days including building I´m still going to leave two weeks for these 20 saurus: 10 days for the warriors and 4 for the standard, so if I finish them earlier I´ll get a nice surprise :p.
    After this, if it continues as planned, I´ll have 10 skinks skirmishers, Tetto´eko, 20 saurus warriors and four weeks left. I´m thinking about trying to paint 10 temple guards for one week, three rippers during the 5th week and leave the 2 last to attempt to repaint the dread saurian in order to have a centre piece on the table to attract people´s attention :cigar::cigar:. That´s my great plan, let´s hope it is acceptable to the old ones :D.

Lastly, if you have any ideas for the standards please post them, I´m so far thinking about painting one bronze and the other stone, but I don´t know about the two left.
    Anyways, hope you liked the unit. :)

Jorgik

Blastoize, Janf, Warden and 5 others like this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is a very nice unit. The colour scheme transitions very well from single model to the entire unit. Fantastic! :)
    Wood?

Warden, Bowser and Jorgik like this.