1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scenery Jungle Trees from Reciept Tape

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Scalenex, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

So I was working a graveyard shift at my grocery store replacing old reciept tape when I had the inspiration that the black plastic tubes that the receipt tape spools on would make serviceable tree trunks. So I thought about how to make a bark texture and eventually decided to use layers of masking of tape. I mounted them on little pieces of cardboard, and painted them brown. They fell over a lot so I put bbs in them for weight. then I stoppered the top with a cotton swab to prevent the bbs from falling out. Finally I cut some leaves out of construction paper.

This picture shows the progression of parts.

003.jpg
    This picture is a close up of a completed tree to show their size relative to skinks.

004.jpg
    My plan is to keep the trees loose so I can move them around to accomodate units in a forest. Eventually I plan to finish cutting out my foam board in 6" x 12" pieces into forest bases, putting on undergrowth for it.

EDIT: The pictures are on photbucket. If that doesn't work, let me know if there is a better way to post the pictures.

Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. redeyefrog
    Saurus

redeyefrog New Member

A simple and effective solution to expensive terrain in large numbers your eyes will fill the gap. and if you interspearse a small amount of model trees through it will look great

3. parrot
    Cold One

parrot New Member

I tried it myself and it worked. Thanks. :D

4. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

An inexpensive yet effective way to make some good trees. Good work!