1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lone "cowboy" Scar Veteran

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Hasnat, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Hasnat
    Chameleon Skink

Hasnat New Member

When I refer to a lone "cowboy" Scar Veteran, I mean a Scar Veteran mounted on a Cold One who runs round the battlefield, hopefully causing havoc. Here is my build (limited at 150 points):

• Scar Veteran, Cold One, Light Armour, Fencer's Blades, Ironcurse Icon

That gives me a Move 7, WS 10, Str. 5, T. 5, with 2+ Save character.

Do you think that this is viable in an 800 points competitve game, in conjunction with 2 x 20 Saurus, 10 Skinks Sk, and a Salamander?

2. troubled_joe
    Saurus

troubled_joe Member

J love lone Scar Vets on cold ones, I always take one. Persnally I prefer to give him a great weapon forS7, as he has amazing defence anyway. Sometimes a dawnstone, so now hes almost impossible for normal troops to hurt. Another one I like is the stubborn crown and dragon helm with great weapon, now he has a 1+ save and you can run him into any enemy block and hes unlikely to ever flee.

3. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

Hello,
    I'm a Big Fan of cowboy Scar Vets, And I take 2 at least:) Too bad that you are limited to 150 potins, because the Real Deal is 160:) For example, Sword of Might Dawnstone, Charmed shield light Armour. 1+ reroallabe save S6 and some Cannon protection. Or Amulet of Itzl, Dragonhelm, LA GW, Venom of the firey frog. Both have 1+ saves and cost 160 points each,

4. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

SouthlandLizardman New Member

I would defenitly go for a Great Weapon on a Scar-Vet. With low I, they will strike last most of the time anyway and S7 is honestly more useful than WS10, even if everyone hits you first because of you're 1+ armour save and T5.

5. CN45
    Skink

CN45 New Member

LA, GW, Venom of the firey frog, Dragonhelm and Dawnstone: 161

6. Vallek
    Cold One

Vallek Member

Due to the "Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" rule I'm very hesitant to take a cowboy. If a challenge is declare against him he HAS to answer it. Since challenges can be declared from any side (flank, rear, ect.) it means that even if you land a solid rear charge killy hero or lord could still declare a challenge and be moved through the ranks to come face to face with the cowboy. So things like an Ogre Tyrant, a Chaos Lord, or even a well equiped Skaven Warlord (I personally field a warlord that rips Ogre Tryants to shreds, scary huh?) could laugh off the cowboy and go back to fighting whatever else it wants.

This greatly reduces the ability of a good hammer unit. He is still a great warmachine hunter, so he isn't useless.. but I fail to see how he could do a better job than an equal number of points worth of chameleon skinks.

7. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

SouthlandLizardman New Member

If you take a lone Cowbot Scar-Vet make sure you give him Crown of Command

8. skillfull_dan
    Chameleon Skink

skillfull_dan New Member

The OP asked about low points games (800 point), in that scenario i greatly prefer a scar vet in a unit. In low points games you need him in the front line chopping things up, not by himself and hoping you dont fail a stupidity check.

As you approach higher point games (2000+), I never leave home without at least one cowboy. They serve as mage assassins, war machine hunters, speed bumps, redirectors, free combat res from flank and rear charges, and most importantly for me is that they make great monster hunters. However none of that matters at 800 points, at that level I just keep my scar vet in the unit.

Also crown of command is expensive on a scar vet, takes up a lot of their allowance so be careful.

9. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

There are dozens of good scar-vet builds,
    Personally I am a fan of the fencers blades,
    because they are an offensive, and defensive weapon,
    and shore up one of our weaknesses, (low WS).

10. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Don't bother with the Crown - the Scar-Vet generates enough CR himself that he shouldn't need to worry.

I would say Cold One, Dawn Stone, Dragonhelm, Light Armour, Shield, Halberd.

You are two points over budget, but with that build you get a 0+ armour save vs ranged, 1+ in combat and both with a re-roll; a 2+ ward save vs flaming attacks (the most common form of magic missile, and fairly common on units thanks to the Flaming Banner also), and 4 strength 6 attacks. He also causes Fear and is Immune to Psychology (thanks, Cold One!), all for the low, low price of Stupidity.

Whether you spend the extra two points to go for a Great Weapon is a matter of personal choice. Halberds will kill anything at Toughness 4 with a 4+ armour save just as well as a Great Weapon, and that's the majority of the stuff in the game, except every now and again you will actually get to attack first or at least simultaneously. It shouldn't be overlooked ,especially as plenty of scary things are Initiative 2 or lower (Treemen, Ogres, Hydras, Trolls, Juggernaughts, Dragon Ogres, Hellcannons, other Lizardmen, Great Weapons and, most importantly, other Scar-Veterans with Great Weapons).

Great Weapons will only really shine against bigger beasties with T5 and a better than 3+ armour save (I say better than 3+, because an armour save reduced to 6+ by strength 6 isn't really worth the paper its written on). These are rare enough, especially at low points games, but they do exist. Chariots, for one. A Halberd Scar-Vet will eventually grind one out, and with that insane armour save he is very unlikely to die before doing so - a Great Weapon Scar-Vet will just do it sooner, which has its own advantages. Especially as this is a low points game he'll be your only tin-opener, so you may want to consider it.

That being said, in theory you can just use your skinks to redirect anything scary and use a Halberd Scar-Vet to mop up.

11. david l
    Chameleon Skink

david l New Member

0+ armour is not allowed, so the shield in that build is purely wasted points.

12. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

0+ amour is allowed, only you always fail on a 1. However, it still exists for purposes of strength reduction.

For example, a 1+ armour save reduced by strength 6 becomes 4+. A 0+ armour save meanwhile is reduced to only 3+.

You could drop it and take a 4th handler on the Salamander I guess, though...

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Can't remember if it's rulebook or FAQ, but no, you cannot get 0+. It is specifically worded that you can have a max of 1+.

14. david l
    Chameleon Skink

david l New Member

Incorrect. See the Errata to page 43.

15. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Interesting. I always read it the (apparently old) way.

Welp, drop the shield and grab that extra handler then! In fact, now I can, too.

16. Ferocious
    Temple Guard

Ferocious New Member

u can have a save of any kind you want, it isnt illigal, but for gaming purposes it is CAPPED at 1+, even if u have a -1+ or a 0+.

can never be better than 1+. This does not prevent a model
    having items or special rules that would take the save even
    lower, it simply caps the saving throw at 1+. Also, remember
    that a roll of 1 is always a failure.”

17. Phenatix
    Skink

Phenatix New Member

Yeah, all that means is if your guy already has a 1+, you can still take a shield, but you won't get any benefit from it (other than a parry save if using a mundane weapon).

18. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

Now, I don't mean to be nit-picky or anything... But I just don't know if a later FAQ or change was released regarding a character with two weapons and the fact that they need to remain on foot... Can someone help me out?

19. Hinds
    Saurus

Hinds New Member

You cannot have two hand weapons, but the fencers blades are a paired weapon and is allowed and the only way you can get an additional HW on a mounter char :)

20. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

mmmm cool! So you get the WS 10 and then an extra attack.. Extra attacks are always nice ;)

anyways, I ran a 'Cowboy Vet' in my smaller armies as the general seeing as my usual opponents don't have too much to deal with the toughness and armour save, I didn't have any problems letting him run free :)

Scar vet
    Horned One
    Light Armour
    Great Weapon

I don't care what people say, I loved that blasted Horned One even if it takes from my magical points allowance :p It's a simple fast and effective delivery for a cheap price. Not TOO much hitting power but enough to have his uses