1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lore of Heavens Review - Party Slann 2012 chain

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Espace, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Espace
    Skink

Espace New Member

2. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Great read, adding to my Blog list. Nice job.

3. Espace
    Skink

Espace New Member

Thanks mate, always nice to hear :)

do you have a blog too? Will happily follow! (im always looking for things to read when im on the cross trainer!)

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Excellent review. I stuck it in the Tactica index as usual. I normally like to add my two cents to your posts, but you covered the bases so well, I only have about one cent worth of stuff to add. I was especially impressed with the depth of possibilities you put forth for Wind Blast. Before reading your blog, I wrote it off as the worst spell.

I was going to write that a Slann doesn't need to take Lore Mastery if they have a Skink Priest because they can cover all the spells, but now I'm thinking it might be worth it to take lore mastery and a skink or two to double up on Iceshard Blizzard (or Comet if you roll lucky).

I think with most things a double Slann would be good with Light, Life, or Death, but I don't think I'd endorse a double Slann team with Heavens. Why? Tetto'eko, aka the mini-Slann. I think a Tet/Slann team would be more efficient than a Heavens Slann/non-Heavens Slann team.

Tet can do almost everything a Heavens Slann can do just about anything a Slann can do except channel through a skink priest and has an augmented Comet to boot. Most of the Tactica your wrote also applies to the mini-Slann.

Storm of Magic wise, the Heavens Equilibrium spell is probably the most powerful Cataclysm spell (considering it's low casting cost and RIP) of all the lores. In Storm of Magic it's probably more efficent to use a handful of skink priests to bring Heavens to the table and give your Slann something else though.

5. Espace
    Skink

Espace New Member

Thanks man! Yeah wind blast is really good when used with a skink with cloak of feathers and like you say doubling ice shard blizzard is always good.

I was listening to ben curry's daily show yesterday and he pointed out another sneaky combo, double slann one on fire one on heavens. Cats flame cage on a big unit then wind blast it and then the whole unit takes Str 4 flaming hits! Ouch!

But in general I think Heavens works best with a party slann tooled up and a few heavens skink priests and imo loremaster is a must to ensure you get all the spells you need. Additionally if your lucky you will get double wind blast and then can really be nasty double pushing an enemy unit to where you want it!

6. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Great read and I really like your blog. I had kind of written heaven off as a weak lore but now I'm definetly gonna try it, probably in my next game! Thanks, I'm looking forward to the rest of the lore reviews.

7. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

Hello,
    Heavens is my favorite lore, so it was nice to read this review. Especially when someone else like wind blast:)
    The most funniest way to use this lore that We came up with with some friends, in in a 2200+ army list to use 2 Slanns with heaven Loremasters and the skink special priest with the heavens loremaster. (The rules allow to have muliple spells only with loremasters, so this isin't an error). And Just cast 3x Cassandoras per Turn:) Once will be a big one with IF:)

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Storm of Magic Addendum

Since all wizards have all the cataclysm spells available to them, it may be worth using a skink priest for your Heavens Cataclysm spells instead of the Slann though the +4 is nice. Heavens spell are nice in Storm of Magic because with all the monsters around, there are likely to be more flyers than usual giving you opportunities to use your Lore attribute to knock your enemies down to earth.

Let the Four Winds Blow: Heavens’ Presence spell is pretty handy. Like Wind Blast but with enough range that you don’t need to rely on careful positioning and luck near as much to line up good collisions and able to hit multiple targets. It can also affect Vortexes which could theoretically save one or more of your units from something really nasty or push the Storm or Renewal someplace more to your liking.

Fantastic Foresight: Heavens’ Equilibrium spell is so good one would argue it’s overpowered. Re-roll all failed casting, dispel, and channeling attempts and Remains in Play! Yes, please. It’s especially good if you have lots of weak wizards as opposed to a few strong wizards (for extra channels). It’s even better if your playing style is like mine and you favor lots of small spells over a few big ones. That normally means you main risk is failing an early casting roll and not rolling a miscast, and Fantastic Foresight makes it far less likely.

Thorsen’s Thunderstrom: I need to play more SOM games to see an opportunity when I’d want to play this. I think with how dispersed and intermingled the two armies get you’d risk the vortex hitting your own men if you aren’t careful. That and my luck in magic phases tends to be very good, except with Vortexes so I tend to avoid them as a rule. Still nice to both damage enemy units and move them out of position at the same time.

9. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Just played a game with a Heavens Slann...it worked out pretty well. Chain Lightning struck 4 or 5 units in one go, panicking a Dark Elf Supreme Sorceress in the process. Comet was awesome...except for that time it hit my partner's Phoenix Guard. Good thing they have 4+ Ward saves.

10. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Awesome blog post! I have lots to thik about and experiment with now. I tend to play small points games (1500 or less) so taking Skink Priests give some good leverage while permitting an Old-Blood for extra killiness. Now I just need to practice more with Heavens.

11. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

I guess no one has considered yet or there may be a rule stating otherwise but surely Wind Blast can simply knock a unit off the board and therfore out the game without any specific mention of returning 'as reinforcements'

12. Mahtis
    Cold One

Mahtis New Member

It's has been, and it's even been FAQ'd.

13. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

Ahhhh, that bites like a Kroxigor!!!!!