1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lustria conquers the North! Armies on Parade

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by wappellious, Aug 2, 2011.

1. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Hello to all!

My apologies for not posting here in forever. It has been an insane year here, and I have barely had time to read e-mails, much less do any posting. That has really bummed me out.

Yes, the Legions of Babo marched north to conquer Armies on Parade at Games Day. They were joined by the Great Thunder Lizard, and victory soon followed! All the child races were swept away.

It was nice to break out some of the older units which were set aside when 8th edition came out, since many of them had won Golden Demons of Rogue Demons at Adepticon. My tournament army is a bit different from what I brought. I had to leave my non scratch built terradons at home, since the terradons themselves are not GW minis.

Here is a picture of the trophy. Of course Mage Priest Babo will not let anyone touch it!

BabostrophyR.jpg

I will try to post a few images of the Temple of Blood. These are older pictures right before it was used in a multi part campaign against a big demon army. I have some newer ones which I will try to get on here as well. My hope is to have a painting blog going soon, which will give me a better chance to organize that vast array of lizard minis and pictures!

WEBBirdseyefrontangle.jpg

WEBFrontstraightonnormalview.jpg

WEBBirdseyeleftside.jpg
    WEBCloseupaltar.jpg
    WEBcornerterradonbigger.jpg

WEBCloseupStikiWikitt.jpg

Oh_Man, Crowsfoot and Warden like this.
  2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Very nice work. Gratz on the win.

3. CthuluIsSpy
    Skink

CthuluIsSpy New Member

How did you do that dimensional portal thing in the EoTG?

4. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

My original field of art was 2 dimensional, and one of my favorite subjects to paint was spacescapes. So, I made those portals so that I could have fun painitng some miniature spacescapes! On the other side of the portals are various views of Lustria. I believe there is a thread on LOL that has more pictures of the Engines themselves.

5. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Hey Wappellious, congrats on the win. I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to see your army in person this past weekend but didn't get the chance to introduce myself. Maybe next year. Your stuff looks great man! Some of the best I've ever seen. congrats again and maybe we can link up in the future. Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

6. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Wow, it looks amazing. Every spot has some kind of detail on it. I'm very impressed and congratulation on the win. Well deserved.

7. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Wow! Painting blog please. I have so many questions. I am most impressed with your basing and senery. Where do you get those stones they all stand on, or how did you make them? I love that last picture you posted. What of that winged lizard? I want to know all about him. What went into him? Very nice. And that snake looking sknik in front of him. I love that paint job. Also were did you find those plants exactly?

Bottom line, more pictures! Painting log. I would love to fallow that kind of work and see it step by step.

8. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Thanks for all the kind words! The entire army is really pretty huge, with all sorts of big projects that went into it.

Once I can get Tette'ekko all finished, I will post some images of him here. He was on the top level of the Temple with Mage Priest Babo. Baby Babo, as he became known, was a must once 8th edition came out!

I am not sure if I posted my scratch built/converted Chakax yet, but I think Stikki Wikkit the winged skink chief is posted in the painting area. See why I need that painting blog? :D I may not have posted the finished versions of the scratch built Engines of the Gods, either.

All of the stone surfaces are done with sculpey, a clay that you can bake in the oven. Once baked, it can be broken up and carved. With a few tests, I was also able to use it to create magnetized movement trays for all the units. I have since created movement trays for all my skirmishing units as well. I think that is another painting blog item as well!

Cheers!

Warden likes this.
  9. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Oh, yes, and I need to post the story of the army as well. The Temple of Blood and the legend of Stikki Wikkit.

10. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Lovely army with lots of nice conversions. Very well painted, but what i think really sets it apart is the vibrant colors! its great to see some one who dares to use so many different colors in the same army and still manage to pull it off as a nice coherent army, and not just several different units standing next to each other. I tip my hat to you sir! :D

Warden likes this.
  11. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Thanks! I think I would have gone a bit batty if I had to paint everything the same colors!

There was a specific reason to do that, as I wanted each unit of skinks and Kroxes to be a different work unit. The army itself was supposed to be more of a 'temple restoration crew' than an army, which is covered in the story of the Temple.

The idea is that each skink unit restored a different part of the Temple.

From a practical standpoint, it also helped me to identify each unit quickly, as I like to have suprizes inside each unit!

Warden likes this.
  12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Warden likes this.
  13. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

Stewart saves the day!

Babo send his blessings, and his appreciation.

There are so many things that need to be posted! Yikes. I hope people will get a kick out of Tette'ekko and Chakax!

Time to snap some pictures :pigeon:

Warden likes this.
  14. Saurus_Guardian
    Skink

Saurus_Guardian New Member

STUNNING STUFF

15. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

Welcome back Wappel! I for one really missed you here (and your work :p ). Great work and congrats on the trophy!