1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Movement trays...

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Christopher, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

Next week I'll be fielding a unit of 40 Skinks and I plan to use both Lords of Space and Time and their inherent high movement characteristic to make them a highly mobile force. This will be my first time using such a large unit, though I did field 30 Skinks in last week's game, which was an object lesson in tediousness as I moved my carefully painted models back and forth across the board.

Now, I'm told (and have read) that in the old days of square bases people frequently used "movement trays" to field large units. I'll probably eventually look for fancy bespoke movement trays to buy online, but for now, I'm trying to come up with solutions I can craft myself for my 40 Skinks in a few different formations (ranked, U-shaped, teardrop maybe). I don't think just cutting out some heavy stock cardboard or foam core and spray painting it a pleasing color will work, because I'm positive my trays will need some kind of lip or upraised edge to prevent models from falling off as the tray is inevitably jostled during movement.

Any suggestions? I'm sure some of you good people have experience with this.

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Stick a magnet under the base of the model then use magnetic sheets on your trays.

Don't worry too much about how they rank up in the tray because you will pile in once your within 3"

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I admit I went low tech. I use a piece of cardboard with the edges folded up.
    I plan to change that, but haven't really decided on what I want to use.

I tried the magnetic sheet but my paint didn't stick to it, which sucks, and it isn't magnetic enough to just put sand on it and paint that (too thick, magnetism is not strong enough with my magnets)
    Will try again though. Right now I tend to get MDF trays, for 5-10 Skinks each.

4. Christopher
    Terradon

Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't used magnets on anything yet.

I'm also sitting here chuckling, trying to imagine a situation in which I would pile in with my Skinks. I'm so afraid of melee with those little guys I don't think I've ever done that--always taking the option to withdraw 8" in the hopes of them surviving to shoot en masse at least one more time!

Furnus and Crowsfoot like this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

This is true but you may want to keep a unit tied up at some point.

There are lots of options for trays our very own @Lord-Marcus has started making them to order and there are loads on ebay etc

6. Christopher
    Terradon

I now have the glimmerings of an idea of how to make some using foam core and elements of the 2D and 3D cardstock terrain I sometimes make for RPGs.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Would you want something more durable? As @Crowsfoot says, I make trays. They are also inexpensive

8. Christopher
    Terradon

Maybe down the road. I'm going to see what I can make myself for now. I'd love to see some pictures of yours, though, if you have any samples. Do you have an Etsy shop or Ebay site or something?

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  9. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

10. Skorp
    Saurus

Skorp Active Member

I got some mdf ones similar to Lord Marcus's. Cant find the vendor I got mine from but tectonic craft studios makes some too. I'll keep looking as now its driving me crazy what the company was.

11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Warbases, tabletop warrior, Armada games? Any of those ring a bell?

Fyi, mine are MDF with a textured top plate or pieces (I do ruined bases as well, not just slabs)

12. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Do you have a link of your website marcus?

13. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Pming you