1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS My first 2000 point list

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Christopher, May 3, 2018.

1. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

My first 2000 point AoS army

Slann Starmaster (260)
    --General
    --Leader
    --Command Trait: Great Rememberer
    Bastiladon (280)
    --Behemoth
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
    --Leader
    --Behemoth
    --Celestite War-spear
    --Artefact: Blade of Realities
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)
    --Leader
    --Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    10 Saurus Warriors (100)
    --Battleline
    --Celestite Spears
    --Stardrake Icon
    --Wardrum
    10 Saurus Warriors (100)
    --Battleline
    --Celestite Clubs
    --Stardrake Icon
    --Wardrum
    Razordon (40)
    --Artillery
    Salamander (40)
    --Artillery
    Shadowstrike Starhost (170)
    --Warscroll Battalion
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    --Leader
    6 Ripperdactyls (280)
    20 Skinks (120)
    --Battleline
    --Boltspitters & Star-bucklers
    5 Chameleon Skinks (120)

Wounds: 106
    Drops: 9

For the final, 2000 point week in my local Spring AoS Escalation League, I was originally going to run a version of one of the Shadowstrike/“Kroaknado” lists floating around. My experience with Lord Kroak atop a Balewind Vortex in my 1500 point game last night, however, left a bad taste in my mouth. The local Age of Sigmar scene is growing, but still relatively small, and I don’t want to be the guy nobody will play against. Even as it is, the first three games in the League I’m playing in have not been particularly competitive, with my opponents conceding in Round Three the first time and in Round Two the second and third times.

So, the above is what I’ve come up with this morning. I’m, of course, limited by the models I own. The only other two Behemoths I have besides those listed are a Troglodon and a Stegadon. I could run a Thunderquake Starhost list, I suppose, but it would be relatively anemic, as it would be built around the Troglodon instead of an Engine of the Gods (still need to get one of those).

I think of this as a “generalist” list, with the alpha strike from the Ripperdactyl Riders, some okay shooting, some pretty good spellcasting, and some pretty good melee (thanks mostly to the Carnosaur). I suspect its main weakness is that very generalization. I’m still not experienced enough to know how many wounds is too few at any given points level, but 106 for 58 models seems like it might be a touch low. There’s also limited synergy between the units, no really good “tricks” except the double teleport (though there are some interesting possibilities in the Battleshock phase between the Warriors’ Stardrake Icons and the Carnosaur’s Bloodroar ability, dependent on their relative positions). That said, it seems pretty mobile, which I guess is good, depending on the victory conditions of the particular game we wind up playing.

With 9 drops at 2000 points, I figure I have a better than even chance of going first, so I thought I’d start with buffs and spells and the battalion’s extra movement, then try to take out something nasty on the other side with the probably-not-long-for-this-world Ripperdactyls’ Explosion o’ Beaks. I won’t know the Objectives and Deployment we’ll be using until this afternoon, and I probably won’t know who my opponent is or what army I’ll be facing until I show up at the shop for the game next Wednesday or Thursday. I imagine, though, that the Objectives revealed later today will probably lead to changes in this list. As will the good counsel of you, my fellow Seraphon enthusiasts!

2. Christopher
    Terradon

I'm already second guessing myself! Given that the two units of ten Saurus Warriors are basically there as chaff or objective holders, I could replace them with two units of ten Skinks, freeing up eighty more points. I could use those on two more Salamanders (I only own one Razordon) or a Skink Priest. Hmmmm...

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I agree with most you said, but 9 drops should pretty much mean you will not go first unless your opponent allows you to.

It is a mixed list so yeah, you will miss out on some synergy, but I think it will be fun to play. I'm the future you can then transition either into the Saurus or the Skinks direction.

Christopher likes this.
  4. Christopher
    Terradon

Thanks, @Aginor!

Here are the Deployment, Objective, and Twist cards drawn for the game.

IMG_2858.JPG
    The three together look to me to make for kind of a wild game.

If this list (or whatever list I eventually settle on) does well, I'm thinking about taking it to a little local monthly AoS tournament at the end of the month, which will be my first time playing outside my Games Workshop location.

5. Christopher
    Terradon

For my sins, I have come up with a quite different version of this 2000 point list. I'll explain why below!

Slann Starmaster (260) [7]
    --General
    --Leader
    --Command Trait: Great Rememberer
    Skink Priest (80) [4]
    --Leader
    --Artefact: Prism of Amyntok
    Bastiladon (280) [8]
    --Behemoth
    Troglodon (180) [12]
    --Behemoth
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160) [6]
    --Leader
    --Artefact: Incandescent Rectrices
    5 Saurus Guard (100) [5]
    --Battleline
    Razordon (40) [3]
    --Artillery
    3 Salamanders (120) [9]
    --Artillery
    Shadowstrike Starhost (170)
    --Warscroll Batalion
    Skink Starpriest (80) [4]
    --Leader
    6 Ripperdactyls (280) [18]
    20 Skinks (120) [20]
    --Battleline
    20 Skinks (120) [20]
    --Battleline

Wounds: 116
    Drops: 9
    Units: 11
    Models: 60

Same general principle, but even more suboptimal! ;)

But, given the deployment and the objective, I think I can be competitive with it so long as I'm patient and play to the win condition. I anticipate that people will be gunning hard in the first two rounds to remove enemy models from the board before the location of the objective is revealed. My plan is to keep the Rippers in the sky for as long as possible and use the relatively high mobility provided by the Skinks and the double-teleport to try to keep as many models on the battlefield as possible for as long as possible. The win condition is whoever controls the objective at the end of the fifth round, and in an Open War game, control is defined as belonging to "the player that has the most models with 3" of them at the end of any turn." So, sure, I'll try to be tactical, and sure, I'll try to put out some offense (particularly against units with large numbers of models), but mainly I hope to be able to pile onto the objective late in the game with a whole lot of models and ride it out.

Now, there are obviously other lists that could accomplish that same general idea more effectively. But...

I only have to build three Ripperdactyls and two Salamanders, and only have to paint eight models (those five plus the Slann, the Astrolith Bearer, and the Bastiladon) to field this list fully painted! And that's important to me for a number of reasons, both in terms of the game (get an extra League point) and in terms of aesthetics and simple personal satisfaction. I just dropped my wife off at the airport and she won't be back until late Sunday night. I think I can get this army ready before she gets back, though the Bastiladon will be a big task.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

I would run the skinks as my battleline, especially considering the twist is free mortal wounds. Running warriors or even worst, guards might be asking for them to get zapped by the wrath of the gods!

Aginor and Christopher like this.
  7. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

The bastiladon is really not so hard to do! Trust me! I painted it in sub-assembly and it didn't take me as much time as I anticipated! Check my painting blog for the pictures!

Christopher likes this.