1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Mythgital's Lizardmen and other races

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by little-myth, May 23, 2015.

?

How to build my Skinks

Poll closed May 10, 2018.
  1. Javelins and Star-bucklers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Boltspitters and Moonstone Clubs

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Boltspitters and Star-bucklers

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Moonstone Clubs and Star-bucklers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I know what you mean... Had to pack my stuff in boxes and put it on the attic... Cause some guests(9 adults with children) coming on the 25th my wife didn't want "my small friends" to be spread all over the living room. ;) so for the next days is just pen and paper for me... ;) if I can find me some time...

HeirofCarnage and Bowser like this.
  2. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

20151224_142237.jpg

Here is the Skink Priest for my 2nd army, as said before, trying to work out what to do about the face, want to do a mask of sorts to cover the face.
    20151224_142432.jpg 20151224_142450.jpg 20151224_142501.jpg

Very roughly finished but I got what I can done.
    A festive Saurus! I wish I can do more but time is short for taking good light pictures so yeah.
    Have a Happy Holiday/ Christmas everyone! I will be busy using the time to do college work, cause they believe we don't deserve the time off :p

HeirofCarnage, Sudaj, Bowser and 2 others like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Merry christmas to you as well x

Bowser likes this.
  4. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Heh, that's the look I was thinking of with the most recent Nakai sculpt.

@little-myth, were you after some feedback on your green stuffing?

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  5. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Well I wasn't looking for feedback but feel free too. Feedback helps me loads :)

6. little-myth
    Carnasaur

20151227_153748.jpg

WIP of the Skink's mask. Once dry I will fiddle around and make more straighter edges and add more green stuff detail. The tongue is used from the Saurus Cav.
    I do write the fluff story down about them but it never comes out how I want it, one day I will get it right.

Crowsfoot, Sudaj and Bowser like this.
  7. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Green stuff wise some promising bits and pieces.

I'll weigh in lightly (no heavy detail....for once).
    I'd mix green stuff in smaller amounts (half of what you think you'll need is about right).
    The other is try not to do too much in one go, apply a basic layer first then do detailed stages after that.

little-myth and Bowser like this.
  8. little-myth
    Carnasaur

20151228_181538.jpg

Added eye detail, once dried I will carve and smooth down more and add some other bits of detail like the teeth carvings. Pictures don't seem to show how the model looks better in person. Tongue also felled out but I will stick that back in later.
    I wonder how the Priest even sees. Hmmmm

Sudaj, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  9. little-myth
    Carnasaur

20151229_135215.jpg 20151229_135254.jpg

Almost there with the mask, just got to wait till it hardens then I can sit and smooth and slightly carve the green stuff for a better finish.
    The 2nd theme Lizardmen army will be my Armies on Parade team for 2016, for the next months I will be focusing on getting the conversions done then focus on the board/ scenery.

One side of the mask was awkward to do due to the hand being in the way. Next time, mask conversions will be done on sticks.
    Been busy putting together a box set of Tyranids, they are everywhere. Only made four Hormagaunts and almost finished a Carnifex building-wise.

10. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Been trying to come up with new ideas for the 2nd theme Lizardmen army in terms of the gold. I don't think the gold scheme done for them is that fitting for them, as they are Lizardmen that dwell underground. I thought of going to towards a different gold or maybe a type of rock colour instead.
    Not entirely sure at the moment, half asleep.

11. Tac'a'tA
    Jungle Swarm

Tac'a'tA New Member

Why not jade? I have seen lots of people on this forum do it good

12. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Maybe but I tend to like being that smidge different when I paint models. Might see how other ideas and research go. Thanks for the idea :)

13. little-myth
    Carnasaur

No update today, been busy watching the computer so I used the time to stick together Tyranids while I watched it.
    Been going through all the colours of jade, trying to find one that will fit the army. Not sure if red will be too much as some models will have red paint markings. Want something that will fit their vicious nature, either a jade colour or another type of rock/metal. I find just gold not that correct for them.

14. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Should be doing college work but meh, they say about my career. In a way, this does work towards my career in life.

20160104_143157.jpg 20160104_143229.jpg

Work of the Skink Priest, next to the practice paint Skink. Just got to sort out the rest of the colours as said before, gold doesn't feel fitting to them. Also got to add the highlights and basing material, got to neaten up the 'war paint' marks too. Higher spawnings like Priests, Oldbloods etc tend to have neater markings than ones like Skinks and Saurus. Temple Guard and that are kinda stuck in the middle. Will go and research for more markings too, might add a bit more to it to have that more tribal feel.

15. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

What about iron or bronze as metal and obsidian for the stone crafted things?
    The iron should not look to silver shining through.

little-myth likes this.
  16. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Leaning towards bronze, as it will help make the model stand out better. I could use obsidian for most crafted things. For the steps the Priest is standing on, it's just a Grey base with a lighter grey partial layer and then went over the shade. A mix of both may work well.

Thanks

17. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Trying out the Blood for the blood god technical paint, very slowly building thin layers and stuff. Works best in thin layers.
    20160105_211824.jpg

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  18. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Working on the obsidian colour on the staff last night. Not sure what unfolds today, might put some Tyranids together.

20160109_082722.jpg

I thought I would also post better pictures of my Cyberwolf, part of my Space Wolves army. The wolf was also done for a contest but the results were never heard of.

20160109_082747.jpg 20160109_082821.jpg
    20160109_082835.jpg

HeirofCarnage, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  19. little-myth
    Carnasaur

Priest almost done, just needs one more look over later and then some basing material slapped on. Took ages to debate on feather colour so I looked at my colour wheel chart. Mixed shading of brown and blue with orange/yellow.

20160112_103738.jpg 20160112_103751.jpg

Taking ages to correct the mask but it's not a perfect straight sculpt so it would look jagged but still happy with the model

20. little-myth
    Carnasaur

My posts are slowly stacking back to back, anyway.
    Based the model, first model done for the year. My challenge as mentioned before is to get as many models painted and based in each month.
    I did try taking pictures on a white background but he doesn't stand out as nicely so I went with the normal desk background. Finished Priest from my 2nd army, still need to write the fluff damn...
    20160112_123646.jpg 20160112_123656.jpg 20160112_123710.jpg 20160112_123717.jpg 20160112_123736.jpg

Next on the list is to get this guy looking table worthy
    20160112_123557.jpg
    Used to belong to my boyfriend, the Stegadon will be getting a paint touch up and new colours added.