1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Nakai's batman themed Saurus oldblood

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Nakai, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This took me forever to sculpt.....yeah I need some thoughts from you guys, suggestions criticisms everything, need to know if I should scrap it or break out the paint.

2. lordkingcrow
    Temple Guard

lordkingcrow Active Member

Now I've never been good at sculpting anything, but I think this looks pretty awesome! I'd like to see what it looks like after you paint him up. Nice job!

3. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Wow, that is very cool. I feel like there is a batman model under all that green stuff and not a lizard.

4. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

There's no model underneath just wire lol I get what ur saying though it's very much appreciated image.jpg

Jorgik and Crowsfoot like this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Damn, wish I had the patience to do something like this!

6. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

Do what I did and start with little things, piece of plate on a shoulder, some extra scales and move up from there! It takes time and practice. Then all you have to do is pile all you've learned into a project. And listen to Rikard, he'll never steer you wrong

n810 likes this.
  7. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I like it, the scales especially. Some critique: think he's a little too bulky although that is just my taste - I'd imagine a Batman-style Oldblood to be more lithe. I also wasn't sure what was around his raised wrist at first.

That being said, he's really well modeled and far beyond my capability. I would get some paint on it so you could show it off to us :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

... And the time...
    Nice piece of art!

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

TIME TO BREAK OUT THE PAINTS!!! Very nice work, Lizardmen-Batman looks great!

10. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Definitely no scrapping for this guy! Very nice sculpt. Are you going to paint him to look like Batman?

11. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

That is the plan black with sharp highlights, can't decide on yellow or gold though maybe nmm gold?

Caprasauridae likes this.
  12. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

You did very well and I hope you're proud as well as eager to keep the scratch build work going.

Is there any feedback you'd like (aside from asking about the bracers)?

13. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

I'm building an armature for my next one right now . This next one is going to be smaller, since Bat-Rok as I've named him is kroxigor sized I want to do one that is a little larger than a regular Saurus. Do you have any advice as to keeping the same amount of detail but shrinking it down?

14. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Yes,

Spend more time on the armature, make sure you're really happy with the pose and length of limbs.
    Measure it against a similarly sized model too when you're constructing it to prevent getting too carried away.

15. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

Once you have the pose for the armature down where do you start? By blocking it all out or do you do what I do and start with the feet?

16. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Well, put it in a cork or pinned to some other small stand that you can pick up and rotate, so you can work on the model.
    You can start with blocking out landmarks and adding a little depth and a basic structure to the model at this stage, but just be VERY careful to make sure you do not go overboard with the material, always, always, always, always use less material than you think, adding more to a mini if you don't have enough is far easier than trying to remove it because you've added too much.

The photos I post where you see green stuff on my thumbnail is pretty much the maximum I will mix up at a time, if I need more for other bits I will do so WHEN I need them.

Start where you want, feet tend to be a safer option as it steadies the model and means you have a good source to reference from as you work up.

Bowser and Nakai like this.
  17. Madmek
    Jungle Swarm

Madmek New Member

Really like your sculpt! it really feels massive. you can just imagine a bunch of empire soldiers flying in all directions from the swing of the knuckelduster/punchknife thingy!

Bowser likes this.
  18. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

How much? Haha! This is absolutely brilliant! Great sculpt! This is so cool!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016