1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No conversion section? Oh well, here will do

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strewart, Jan 23, 2009.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

So as I am sure you are all aware, the saurus warriors are a bit static and boring, they all look the same. I have never been one to have a 'standard' looking army, as such I have experimented making a leaping/running saurus warrior. What do you think?

runningsaurus.jpg

I think one like that in a unit would look weird, so I might do a whole front rank running/leaping like they are getting into battle. It required a bit of tough trimming and light greenstuffing, which resulted in a pretty nasty cut on my finger, but overall wasn't too hard.

2. Putros
    Skink

Putros New Member

I think the upper body should be tilted slightly upwards, so that it doesent look like hes about to do a face plant, but rather a jump. And on the same note the left leg should either be more bent to make it look like it is about to jump or more stretched out in order for it to look like its just about to take off. Although, i expect that that could be a "little" bit too much to ask ;)

Reading your post again, i realise however that i didnt think it through, it does look like its running. Good job :)

3. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Looks cool to me, I agree with static armies.

4. biggreen
    Skink

biggreen New Member

its really cool!!! I would think arm with shield would be high in order show that he is charging at same protecting himself. i just wondering what the full unit would look like? Keep up, man.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah defending himself might be a good idea... Too late with this guy, he is just running. With another, I plan to have the spear arm further up like he is stabbing with it from over his head, which will involve putting the spear head on the other end.. He may be well suited to having the shield in a defensive pose. On the other hand, both arms up and outstretched may look weird. I shall have to do a dry run.

Cheers for the comments so far. :D

6. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

How are you going to rank up a unit like this? Maybe just keep the unorthadox models to the front rank and flanks (leaping/attacking outwards) so they can fit.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

Yes, no one would fit in front of him. Although since half the slotta is gone (was on the back foot) I could easily put him a bit further back. I did make sure that models would fit behind him though, part of the reason the tail is bent. Also because it looked much better that way.

8. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

saw yuo had posted these saurus on LO, but are we gonna see some more of them? or are these three the only suarus that's not stiff?

9. strewart
    OldBlood

It is all the same model, just from different angles. I only have on box of saurus so far, but you can be assured that my entire front rank will be converted like this. I have a few other interesting things planned, like the spear turned around and above the model's head for one of them, and the champion jumping more upward probably off a small stone or something ready to attack downwards, which should look great, possibly similar to my skeleton in the lesser races section here. I am not quite sure how to do the standard and musician yet, but we shall see.

Certainly this won't be the only one, and god I can't wait until my orange paint arrives and I can get some paint on more of them than the old blood on foot. I have much planned for carnosaur and stegadons. :D

10. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

It's a neat conversaion, when finished that unit will look great on the field for sure.

11. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Nice work :)
    To have your front rank take an agressive position would work great.
    Makes me think of the romans ;)

12. strewart
    OldBlood

I have made a couple more of them.. The pictures are pretty bad quality, because I was in a hurry, but hopefully you will get the idea. If you want clearer pics, I can do it. Otherwise I will make clear pics when the unit is painted.

Just the musician and standard left. Any idea for what to do with them? I'm not really sure... I am thinking of putting the drums on the base behind the musician, so he just dropped them to engage in combat, not really sure about the standard though, or if the musician will work..

Unit champ:

runningsauruschamp.jpg

Other model:

runningsaurus2.jpg

13. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

Couldn't be bothered to make a new topic so I'll just post my conversion here.

http://lizardmenpictures.webs.com/conversions.htm

This was my first conversion EVER :p, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice conversions by the way, keep up the good work. By the way, what is the thing that the champion is standing on?

14. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

A thought for the standard bearer might be to have the banner pole thrust into the ground next to him as he pounces on the enemy... might need to angle it slightly back to represent that it was done in haste. For the musician... maybe dropping the drum (maybe having it bouncing on the ground beside him) but still fighting with the mallet? Just my two cents.

15. strewart
    OldBlood

Good ideas Ninjaskink. I could maybe even have him polevaulting or just using the banner to jump. Probably better to thrust it in the ground behind him.

That would be a rock from the Wood Elves Glade Rider sprue. They have a few very cool lizard looking terrain pieces, including a dragon fly which I intend to use somewhere.

16. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

Hi. I got some conversions too, so if you don't mind, I'll post them.
    This is my second Saurian Musician. I got bored of drum, so i used a horn from VC Skeloton Warriors Box, changed arm a added saur head a some spikes and feathers. Thats all. Not much GS.
    th_Saurus-004-Musicianwithhorn1.jpg
    th_Saurus-004-Musicianwithhorn5.jpg

ad Strewarts convs.: I like the running one, but the second, the one, who probably used to be looking as jumping is weird. Can't find good words to describe my feeling of it. Maybe it is fall more than jump. Also like the "javeliner". However, I'm not sure how those will work in R'n'F units. In my eyes, they would be better as single models. But I may be wrong ;)

For musician, you can use that horner of mine with spear instead of HW. If you join the "horn hand" with the body in the right way, it may look like he is throwing the instrument away.
    I could imagine standard bearer with the standard in both hands, lowered against enemy. When I have to choose, which one o the two saurian standards to use, I'll choose the one with spikes on top (not the one with feathers).
    (Sorry about my English. I'm trying my best ;))

17. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Neat idea for the musician, looks cool.

18. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I agree, it is a pretty cool deviation from the standard drummer. The only thing I would change is the head - make it some aztec glyph instead of a Saurus head. But that's just me.

19. Lazoxoatl
    Saurus

Lazoxoatl New Member

I'm not sure, glyph on the horn is the best way. The head (and maw) is the part of instrument, where the sound is getting out and being amplified. I can't imagine, what you were thinking about ;) Tell me ;)
    I plan to make some glyph-standard for my temple guard (because I really don't like the original one). Maybe some suggestions?
    (and sorry Strewart.. if you want, I'll move such think to another topic ;) )

20. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I meant to make it look more like an Aztec artifact and less like a sculpture of a Saurus head. Think of the giant blowpipes and how they're not actually snakes, but meant to look like snakes. In fact, you could even use that piece imo. The artistic style of the Lizardmen is more about glyphs than realistic looking motifs, so something like the tip of the blowpipe would probably fit in better with the rest of the army. And I'll say it again: But that's just me.