1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Phoenix Guard - who thought they were a good idea?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Karnus, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I played the same army again and did exactly this.

I walked between worlds my temple guard unit in front of his 40 strong unit of spear men then buffed them with Wisson’s. I was charged by them and by a unit of high elf cavalry in the flank.

They managed to kill 6 temple guard. When I hit back there was a dead champion (2 wounds + overkill), 2 dead cavalry and 9 dead spear men. I won the combat and managed to overrun his spear men when they fled.

This did leave me open to a flank charge from the Phoenix guard but at this point the game was over for the high elves. My unit of 35 regular saurus hadn’t received a scratch by this point and was closing in.

The deployment phase won me this game.

2. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Ooooook

So it turns out that banner of the world Dragon protects against miscasts while magic resistance does not via FAQ.

50pts?!?! What load of crap lol

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

You could just use any unit of Saurus or Temple Guard without magic items to steamroller through Phoenix Guard. They only have 1 attack each while you have 2 and Predatory Fighter. They are Strength 4 so wound you on 4s, but are Toughness 3 so you wound them on 3s (or even 2s with Temple Guard). Also you have better armour than they do. Statistically out of an equal number of Saurus and Phoenix Guard, the Saurus have the edge, and Temple Guard can destroy them easily. Honestly in my experience the best solution to Banner of the World Dragon is just to use mundane attacks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    BrotherSutek and Karnus like this.
  4. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I will do this next time I face them and see what happens!

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Don't forget though that they are sitting behind a 4+ ward save as well. And if they cast a spell out of their Lore of High Magic, that Ward Save becomes 3+.

6. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

And round and round we go! ha

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

*sigh* forgot about that. Just have to hope your higher number of attacks will get past that I think. Better 4+ (or even 3+) than 2+. Certainly they still won’t be that powerful offensively so at least you haven’t got that to worry about