1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rank the Star Wars Movies from best to worst!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Dec 21, 2017.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Trust me, they were filling out their diversity checklist. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, except when the motive behind it is politically driven. You can have a great character from any race or gender, just as you can have a bad one. The reason I dislike Rose is that she was bland and boring. She felt like an unneeded add-on to the film.

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I tend to agree with @NIGHTBRINGER here. Certainly Rose doesn't seem nearly as popular as Chirrut and Baze were with the Asian market, as both of those characters were played by Chinese actors who are very famous over in the Far East, and their characters represented the sorts of roles that those actors normally played in other Chinese films. Baze's actor, Jiang Wen, is a big star of action and historical films, so Baze seemed to be quite a fitting role for him, and similarly Donnie Yen is one of Hong Kong's best actors and martial artists, so again Chirrut was a great representative of the sort of character he has played in his other films.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Generally I agree. I just still give her a few points for not being the usual perfect super hero female.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NO POINTS FOR YOU!

[​IMG]

I guess it's a good thing that you are not responsible for assembling sports teams. How did you select your team? These guys got points for not being your typical "athletes"... you know they can't run very fast or jump very high... plus they tire out quickly... that's a bonus! ;)

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

This I do agree with. One thing she did well with was that she proved you don't have to be a thin brunette to be a Star Wars heroine.

6. Aginor
    Slann

This is not sport, it is entertainment.
    I for one want to see all kinds of people on the screen.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Sport is entertainment!

If done well... no problem, awesome, go right ahead. But not diversity for the mere sake of diversity. My argument is not to view it as a detriment, but I don't award points for it either. Does the inclusion add to the film or take away from it? The people are starting to get wise to this.

8. Aginor
    Slann

This. And yes many movies and shows overdo it. No question.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Here is the order of the Star Wars movies (from best to worst) according to audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes:
    upload_2018-10-30_0-0-19.png
    upload_2018-10-30_0-1-40.png
    upload_2018-10-30_0-3-3.png
    upload_2018-10-30_0-4-17.png
    upload_2018-10-30_0-5-1.png
    upload_2018-10-30_0-6-28.png
    upload_2018-10-30_0-8-57.png
    upload_2018-10-30_0-7-27.png
    upload_2018-10-30_0-8-4.png
    upload_2018-10-30_0-9-46.png

10. Aginor
    Slann

It is funny how neither that order nor the critic order lines up with how I feel about the movies.
    But then sure, who are the people that feel strong enough about movies so they actually vote for them on imdb? :D

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The fact that Rogue one is ranked slightly below The Force Awakens perplexes me to no end.
    I suppose i cannot pretend that everyone should share my tastes, but come on...

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Agreed. I’m surprised so many people can’t see how samey Episode VII’s story is, while Rogue One was the first truly different story since Episode III in 2005.

Furthermore, the review for Episode I says it was populated with ‘stock characters’ yet that can also be applied to VII. Of the 3 main characters, Finn is the only character who has some originality to him. Rey is a bland female Luke-remake and Poe is a Han remake who pilots an X-Wing rather than a freighter. In fact it would have been so much better to see Poe die in the TIE Fighter crash as they had apparently originally intended.

Another thing I would like to raise is that do any of you think the music for Episodes VII and VIII is bad? I think it’s miles away from either OT or PT music despite there being the same composer, because there are no pieces that really stick in your mind. Episodes I-III has Duel of the Fates, the Podrace music, Coruscant Chase, the General Grievous theme, the Republic and Separatist march themes and (at least in my view) the swim to Otoh Gunga theme (which is truly beautiful). In the OT you have the original Star Wars Theme, Binary Sunset, the Imperial March, TIE Fighter Attack, the Medal Ceremony theme and Emperor Palpatine’s theme. What do you have for the Sequels? The so-called March of the Resistance which isn’t much of a march and doesn’t even appear in the films as far as I know, and Rey’s theme, which is just meh. I was really disappointed with the John Williams 70th Birthday Prom when they only played the original Star Wars theme, Rey’s theme and March of the Resistance - only one of which is a theme that really sticks in your head.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  13. Aginor
    Slann

I am also perplexed that Rogue One is above Ep1. IMO it should be way lower.

14. Aginor
    Slann

Also I just noticed that meanwhile my order has changed a bit compared with the one I posted on page one of this thread.
    Right now Ep4 is leading again.

Funny how every re-iteration shakes it a bit up for me. I guess it just depends on you many factors to be set in stone.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

The list lines up fairly well with my own. Not sport on, but close.

As for the critics, I don't put any stock into their analysis. Audience ratings are typically far more accurate.

People that love movies and like voting for things. As the Pollbringer of this forum, I can't really fault that!

Rogue One = Original story but bland characters
    Force Awakens = Unoriginal story but much more likable characters

How is Rogue One just below Episode I?

Rogue One = 86%
    Episode 1 = 59%

I updated my list too. It has changed quite a bit.

16. Aginor
    Slann

Sorry I mistyped. Already changed it.

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

That’s extremely debatable in my opinion. Rey is a pretty samey and bland character, despite the development she has been given, as is Poe. K2, on the other hand, provides some hefty sarcastic comedy, Chirrut just goes out and gets stuff done like the legend he is and Baze makes Boba Fett look like a kid in a costume.

18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I will concede that K2 was great, but he is pretty much the only one.

The rest of the Rogue One cast just didn't do it for me (and that seems to be the general consensus by a very large number of people), when they all died at the end, I was like meh :meh:

Tastes will vary, but that summarizes the TFA vs Rogue One ratings.

19. Aginor
    Slann

Here is my list now:

BEST

Episode IV: A New Hope
    Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
    Solo: A Star Wars Story
    Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    Episode II: Attack of the Clones

WORST

But I will be re-watching Solo soon, so another change is likely.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Wow... you really have Rogue One rated lowly. Below Solo?