1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars (and a collection of memes)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Star Trek or Star Wars; which do you like better?

1. Star Trek

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Star Wars

60 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think I most strongly disagree with Palpatine there.
    Someone who values order and obedience that high cannot be chaotic. I'd even say Vader is more chaotic than him.

Also kiiinda disagree with True Neutral. There is no Star Wars hero who is TN in my opinion. Han is close but overall (looking at his character progression) I'd rather call him CG than CN. If you take Han as we meet him (shooting Greedo and so on) I would agree with CN, but not in RotJ.
    Lawful Neutral for Chewie.... hmmm.... Yeah, probably. Chirrut... Sorry he's clearly good IMO, not neutral.

IMO:
    Top row:
    Not quite spot on but close I'd say. Those would have been my choices as well although I am struggling with QuiGon. He is chaotic, but only if judging by JEDI standards. If chaotic is "occasionally disobeying the Jedi Council" then the bar is quite low of course. I'd probably put Han there, as explained above.

Middle row: That's the hard one I think. Lawful Neutral is probably the easiest one of the three. True Neutral is hard for a character. A droid would probably qualify, but neither C3PO nor R2D2. Perhaps a Clone Trooper would qualify, but even those are more lawful than anything else.

Bottom Row: Palpatine is lawful evil, and so is Jabba for example (keep in mind that breaking the law - as Jabba clearly does - is not neccessarily preventing somebody from being "lawful". Adhering to one's own rules can also be lawful). Anakin/Vader is the more neutral one, leaning towards chaotic in his early years, then towards lawful in his later years (I'll omit the obvious alignment switch to good at the very end of RotJ here). But Jango Fett would also qualify for NE in my opinion, most bounty hunters probably do.

For chaotic evil.... I am trying to find somebody right now, perhaps in the Clone Wars series... some character who is opposed to order and obedience, any form of order, anti-social and anti-government, self-centered and without values or moral. Someone like an insane mass murderer. IMO no Sith qualifies since they do have things like a codex and social structures they adhere to. A chaotic evil person would not want or care about an empire. Hmm... perhaps Darth Maul in the Clone Wars....

Lizerd, Ritual and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Han is certainly not a hero. As he said in 4, he's 'in it for the money' so I put him as chaotic neutral because of his self-centred attitude.

Maybe K-2SO would be True Neutral, because he is less of a 'goodie' than C-3PO and R2. Bossk also, because although he is ruthless and hates Wookiees he is also an honourable fighter and true to his word. Baze Malbus is another, because he often served as a mercenary before he joined the rebellion. I thought maybe Chirrut because he disliked both the rebellion, for causing chaos in his home city, and the empire, for being merciless in their ways.

Qui-Gon disobeyed the Council more than a few times, that's why I put him as Chaotic Good. Perhaps Kylo Ren as Chaotic Evil because he is using the pure Dark Side of the Force and will slaughter anyone who gets in his way.

Lizerd, Ritual and Aginor like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

That should be Ahsoka - only she deserves to die that brutally.

Lizerd and Ritual like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

No... it could only be Jar Jar. The most hated Star Wars of all time.

6. Aginor
    Slann

And IMO not even rightfully so. I hate Anakin in Ep2 and Ep3 much more.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Jar Jar in Episode 1 is far worse than Anakin in Episodes 2 & 3. While it is true that Anakin has MANY annoying moments, he also has a few good ones sprinkled in as well. Jar Jar has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Lizerd, Ritual and n810 like this.
  8. Aginor
    Slann

Well, I disagree. Humor. A comic relief character has always been part of Star Wars, and in Ep1 Jar Jar fills that role. Annoyingly? Yes. Badly written? Hell yes. For me still better than Anakin.
    I remember being in the cinema watching Ep1 I disliked the quality of the jokes presented, but I definitely didn't dislike the character himself. Not my favourite, by far, but I still think the haters are exaggerating.

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I thought Jar Jar was pretty amusing really - the fact that he was able to avoid himself getting killed so many times is certainly credible, and he has some funny moments, like the fact that his rubbish catching skills saved him from getting shot. If he had caught that Booma the battle droid would have shot him. Ahsoka meanwhile should get all the hate that is being directed to Jar Jar. She is arrogant, annoying and is only a Padawan but she can somehow single-handedly save a Republic Star Destroyer from being infected by brain worms. Ridiculous. Almost as bad as the fact that three hopeless cases can take on an entire Empire in the rubbishy original trilogy. Certainly Luke also was pretty annoying in the Empire Strikes Back, and acted as if he was less intelligent than even Jar Jar. Ahsoka is the Star Wars version of Wesley Crusher, and should be treated as such, as an irritating waste of space that should have been thrown out of the nearest airlock. She has no good qualities at all. At least Jar Jar isn't ridiculously good at everything. In fact he isn't good as doing much at all, but he has survived into adulthood despite being accident-prone, living in a hostile jungle and not being very bright. Surely that's worth some credit?

Lizerd, Aginor and Ritual like this.
  10. Aginor
    Slann

Disagree with your critic of the original trilogy, but concerning Ahsoka..... Well, I don't particularly like her either, for pretty much the same reasons. I just don't feel as strongly as you. I am Light Side, so I don't have such extreme feelings. :D

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I can under stand not likening Asoka at first, she is a bit annoying in the first season of clone wars,
    but as the series progress you see her mature a lot and grow to be a likeable character,
    Also Anikin is a lot better written in the clone wars series then he ever was in the prequels.

Lizerd, Aginor and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I just feel she is so much like Wesley Crusher from Star Trek - even though she is only a Padawan she can do practically anything, which is surely ridiculous.

However, I do like a lot of the episodes from the Clone Wars - especially the Mandalore Campaign because Obi-Wan and Satine are two of my favourite characters :)

Lizerd, Aginor and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I smell a "most hated Star Wars character" poll brewing. Let's get a collection of hated characters. So far we have...
    • Jar Jar
    • Asoka
    • Anakin
    • Ewoks (not a specific character, but still)

Should anyone else be added to the list?

Lizerd likes this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Some people would surely suggest C3PO.

Lizerd likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Really?!?!

Ok, I'll add him to the list, but I've never heard that complaint before.

Lizerd likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Lizerd and n810 like this.
  17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Who dislikes the Ewoks? Yub Nub!

Who could hate C-3PO? He panics unnecessarily, true. But he isn't annoying.

What about Luke? He annoyed me a bit in 5 because he acted so stupidly it was unbelievable.

Lizerd likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I for one, but I've personally heard many complaints about them from many other people as well.

I love C-3PO. But I'll add him to the list and see what happens.

I don't see him being voted for (Anakin is more annoying version of him), but I'll add him in as an option as well.

So far we have:
    • Jar Jar
    • Anakin
    • Asoka
    • Ewoks
    • C-3PO
    • Luke

Any others?

Lizerd likes this.
  19. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Phasma, while not necessarily disliked, was widely considered to be highly disappointing in TFA. She will be returning in The Last Jedi though, so maybe she'll redeem herself.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Added...

So far we have:
    • Jar Jar
    • Anakin
    • Asoka
    • Ewoks
    • C-3PO
    • Luke
    • Phasma