1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Stega-stampede?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Aginor, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hey y'all!

UPDATE: I am going to update this thread now, it was created before GHB2017 so it changed a bit. The tactic is still viable, just without the Skink Chief, so one less buff to the hits.
    But now you can teleport the Stegadon and attack from the rear!

Original post (updates in bold):

Since my Stegadon is in the works at the moment I was thinking about its keywords, tactical possibilities and so on. And that's when I noticed something.
    Perhaps it isn't that useful in a match, and it is complex, but imagine you opponent's face when this works:

Units needed:
    - Thunderquake Starhost including one Stegadon (Flamethrowers and Skink Alpha aboard).
    - Skink Chief (General) (use a Slann now, or one of the priests. I recommend the Slann for Curse of Fates. That way you can improve some rolls)
    - Skink Starpriest
    - Skink Priest

Situation: All of our units are rather close together, an enemy horde unit is 15" away from the Stegadon. Seraphon turn starts. Also you need tons of luck but just for laughs I'll assume we have that. (when you teleport the Stegadon you will probably need less luck)

Hero phase:
    1. A Stegadon is a Skink, so the Chief buffs it with its special ability, +1 to all hits (not anymore, see above. But you can teleport the Stega at this point, on a 6 you can even move it like below)
    2. The Starpriest casts Mystic Shield on it. +1 on all saves
    3. The Skink Priest uses Celestial Rites on the Stegadon. Adds re-roll to charge and save.
    4. The Skink Alpha on the Stegadon uses its ability on the Stegadon itself. re-roll hit rolls of 1. Also you move it, (let's say you rolled average) 3".

Movement phase:
    5. The Stegadon uses its normal move to advance 8". You could only move it one inch further towards the enemy, more would bring it closer than 3". (not if you ported it unless you rolled a 6)

Shooting phase:
    6. The Stegadon uses its Sunfire Throwers. Those now have the following stats:
    - as many attack as models are within 8"
    - Hits on 2 (3) and can re-roll ones. Wounds on 3. Ouch number one for the enemy.
    - no rend, damage 1
    7. Four attacks with the Javelins that now are 4(5)/4/-/1 with the hits of 1 being rerollable.

Charge phase:
    8. Charge the pesky 4 inches. Even if you should manage to roll it badly, you can re-roll that charge roll.

Combat phase:
    9: Declare that the Thunderquake Starhost acts "savage", granting you re-rolls on all wounds and saves in this phase (at least. The warscroll is a bit unclear how long this buff lasts. Any clarification on that?) (see posts below. It is really until the next combat phase!).
    9a: Pile in if necessary.
    10: Attack with the massive Horns! Those now have the following stats:
    - 2 inches range, 3 attacks
    - Hits on 2(3), and you can re-roll.
    - Wounds on 3, rerollable.
    - rend -3, damage 2. Ouch number two for the enemy.
    11. Attack with the Crushing Stomps.
    - 3D6 attacks, hit at 3(4). Rerollable.
    - these wound at 2 because you charged. And yes: RE-ROLLABLE!! :D
    . no rend, damage still one. But if you rolled halfway well there will be major damage. Ouch number three incoming for your enemy.
    12. Pause for a moment to watch your opponent's face melt.
    13. When your opponent attacks he is still facing a 10 wounds monster with a 3+ rerollable save. Which also heals at least one wound in the next hero phase... Hold on to the table because he might try to flip it. :D

Bottom line:
    This sounds extremely funny/cheesy if everything goes well (and if I understood it correctly of coursye, there might be errors in this post).
    The Skink Priest is somewhat redundant with the Starhost except that his buff for the save lasts longer and he also makes the charge re-rollable.
    Also impressive: Provided you roll well you could theoretically move/charge the Stegadon 26 inches far. (hero phase 6", movement phase 8", charge 12"). Still 15" on average.
    Oh, and if anyone has an answer to my Thunderquake Starhost related question, please provide a link or explanation (answered).

That's all for now. :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think this would work out quite well, you have the mobility if needed, and a lot of great shooting.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I miss the olde 7th edition. 6 stegadom army. :oldman:

(ok fine it had 2 units of skinks in it for core.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Bowser, tom ndege and Qupakoco like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Sounds expensive.
    ...which is in fact one of my main reasons to not play Tabletop games in the past. You had to spend SO much money and time to be able to play.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Aginor
    Slann

Still wondering about the wording on that Thunderquake Starhost ability.

IIRC most warscrolls either

1. say "until your next hero phase" making clear that it lasts the full round. May also be phrased "in this round" (example: mystic shield)
    OR
    2. say "in the following combat phase" (or shooting phase), making clear it is only in that one phase of your turn (example: Terradons' "swooping dive" ability)
    OR
    3. say "in this turn", making clear that it happens in YOUR turn but NOT in your opponent's turn of the same round (can't find an example right now...)

Btw: I only recently re-read the Orruk Warboss' warscroll, and realized the "Waagh!" is a #2 ability. We always used it like it was #1 which made it much stronger. Also interesting that the check for range is actually carried out in the combat phase and not when you use the ability (in the hero phase).

Bowser likes this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Upon further reading I am even more confused.

First I thought it is the following:
    - no bonuses at all in other phases except combat phases
    - I decide savage or swift at the start of EVERY combat phase, not only in my turn.

But then I thought: ...wait....no. that can't be correct since the ability mentions CHARGE rolls, which don't take place in the combat phase.

This doesn't make sense.
    To me they clearly wrote combat phase so you can change the mode in both your and your opponent's turn instead of just once a round.
    But that would mean that one of the buffs (the charge) only applies in the next round. So you could never use it in the first round for example??

And if the buffs aren't limited to the combat phase (charging reroll wouldn't make any sense then) does that mean the buffs DO apply in all phases???

Bowser likes this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

I went and asked the same question over at TGA. Let's see what the combined rules lawyers of two communities can come up with. :D

Bowser likes this.
  8. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Can't recall the thread but our more experienced players have already answered this sensible question :

It's in every Combat Phase - your opponents as well.
    So for example if he gets to go first, at HIS combat phase you can go " Swift" in order to have it in your turn and be able to change it again in YOUR Combat phase.

Hope this helps a bit !
    Seraphage

jevan, Aginor and Bowser like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Thanks! That would be my solution as well.

So if I go first and choose "Savage" in the first round, and never change it, the save roll buff will apply in my opponent's shooting phases, and the wound roll buff will apply in my shooting phases as well?

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

That's correct. It changes in the combat phase, of any player, so it could ride out the shooting phase with some save rrrolls.

Aginor likes this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Perhaps the question was too Seraphon specific for the people over at TGA (and it seems not many people play Seraphon), I only got one answer, but it is also the same.
    So case closed I guess, I agree that's the best way to play it.

jevan and Bowser like this.
  12. Aginor
    Slann

Since I posted links to this thread lately I will update the first post soon to adjust it to the GHB2017 changes.

It has become a bit less impressive because we cannot buff the hit anymore. But with a Slann in command you can now buff the Stega with Curse of Fates, which helps a bit with some rolls!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  13. Seraphage
    Stegadon

You're referring to Skinks' Chief buff right ? Saw its discontinuity coming since I couldn't find the model and thought they 'd go down that road, and I got away without the disappointment of his awesome buff disappearig :p

14. Aginor
    Slann

Exactly. I am still sad about it but since we got so much stronger even without that buff it is just sad, not severe.

Seraphage likes this.
  15. Drofnum
    Cold One

Drofnum Well-Known Member

Or use the slann to port TWO Stegadons in for double the fun! ;)

16. Aginor
    Slann

Problem with porting two is: one of them will be attacked before he does in the combat phase, so you might lose some of his offensive power. When playing with two teleports I would therefor rather teleport one Stegadon and a group of Skinks or Razordons for fire support.

Seraphage likes this.
  17. Seraphage
    Stegadon

A good advice indeed. Another possibility is to completely buff the one going 2nd if the match allows it in order to take an objective etc and attack to the biggest threat first !

Aginor likes this.
  18. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Remember that "savage" works only if you are within 8" from the EotG / troglodon.
    If you teleport the Steggy and it's away from the EotG, it may be savage, but won't gain any reroll.

Aginor and Seraphage like this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

That's correct. My original tactic involves the Troglodon or EotG leading the Starhost following the Steggy.
    When teleporting you would have to teleport the Steggy or EotG with him.