1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Steggies .... Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 7, 2011.

?

Do you regularly include a Stegadon of some sort in your army?

1. ALWAYS

30 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. Most of the time

31 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Half the time

21 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Rarely

13 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. NEVER

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

How many people regularly use Stegadons in their armies? (or if not, what do you take in its place)

How do Stegadons match up to some of the other big nasties that other can field?

2. Hasnat
    Chameleon Skink

Hasnat New Member

Stegadons are okay if put a skink chief on top of them with the Stegadon Warspear. 2D6 Str. 5 hits (avergae of 7 str. 5 hits) can hurt. Bolt thrower isn't as good as elven one or dwarf ones with runes, and gobbo spear chukkas, 35 points each.
    Engine of the Gods maybe. Steg isn't really that good compared to a Dragon for example, or the new goblin spider thing.
    But getting flanked by a steg, you've had it then, esp. with steg warspear.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'm curious how it will match up to the new Tomb King Sphinxes

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I was wondering about that NIGHTBRINGER and I must say that it is very unlikely that an Ancient Steg can do much against a Necrosphinx since that new monster is a monster killer... Again a Khemrian Warsphinx, it could survive longer but will most likely die because those stupid Tomb King monsters have T8...

I must say, I would be surprised if Lizardmen don't get something bigger than the stegadon, seeing how Skaven, Orc and Gobbos and now Tomb Kings just got some uber monsters. I think we might just end up seeing the Thunder Lizard!!!!

Lizardmen!! and Sudaj like this.
  5. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

I love my steg and I think they are excellent value for the points (ancient in particular)
    But if I'm facing war machines (cannons and stonethrowers) especially in tournaments I leave them behind. A one shoted 300 point model? :(

6. Viarca
    Saurus

Viarca New Member

I'm with Eladimir on this one. In a fun game they are nice to include, but if it's competitive, there are just too many warmachines that can take them out in 1-2 shots, and with steadfast, unsupported monsters just don't serve the role they used to.

7. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Take the ancient steg if any... if the sphinx decides it wants to threaten you, unload the giant blowpipes, and do it again on the stand and shoot. Although skinks with blowpipes can do this as well. Let's hope these new toughness 8 behemoths aren't covered in armor like the steam tank. I guess there is always pit of shades...

8. mixer86
    Kroxigor

mixer86 New Member

i think i read somewhere they will have 3+ armour.

Yours Aye

Mixer

9. Hot Venom
    Jungle Swarm

Hot Venom New Member

Throw enough poison its way and T8 matters not

Lizardmen!! likes this.
  10. lord karnik
    Saurus

lord karnik New Member

I almost always run 2 ancients in tandom on a flank and they rarely disappoint me. 2 of them charging a unit is quite powerfull and 2 stubburn units are quite teh tarpit. Add the warspear and they put some damage down.

3d6 S6, plus 2d6 thunderstomps, plus attacks... .yup they are fun

Lizardmen!! likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Toughness 8 AND 3+ armor save!!! :( I hope you are incorrect, because that would be just ridiculous. With that kind of armor, shooting it down with Skinks would be pretty impractical.

12. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

1/18 skink shots would cause an unsaved wound from poison.. so from a unit of 10 skinks they'd get one wound through a turn on average... a little better than that but not much. Better Odds than against a steam tank at least. That's going to be a pain to fight though. I hope it has low initiative so pit of shades will clear it up quick.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Of course, that means that you have to be running Lore of Shadows. I've been using Life at the moment, so no help there.

14. Hasnat
    Chameleon Skink

Hasnat New Member

GW needs to release a new model called the Thunder Lizard. I'd give it M7, WS6, BS0, S8, T7, W7, I3, A6, LD7. Add to that Heroic Killing Blow, 3+ Scaly Skin, Terror, Forest&Jungle Strider, and 0-1 limit, and costs 420 points.

Lizardmen!! likes this.
  15. Ithumaer
    Skink

Ithumaer New Member

That's absurd...a model with stats and abilities like that would be impossible to kill, not to mention it could easily destroy anything in its path. There are weaknesses to sphinx's, as there will be to a hopefully incoming Thunder Lizard.

Lizardmen!! likes this.
  16. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Not absurd at all compared to the 120 point cheaper steam tank, which has more wounds and toughness. I think the weapon skill and attacks are a bit high though, considering it is to be a giant plodding creature. Instead of high attacks and skill I'd rather see it have some kind of trample ability, where maybe when it charges a unit it has the potential to wind up on the other side of the charged unit, doing damage on its way through... I'm thinking instead of impact hits doing D3 per rank trampled on?

17. Stelios
    Skink

Stelios New Member

i always include stegadons in my lists. one engine of the gods plus one ancient stegadon. great impact damage, sufficient shooting and the priest can cast some really useful spells. they are good not only at "blocking" the enemy's way, but also at crushing his units at the right moment

18. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

Generally speaking if I take a Stegadon it's going to be an ancient. It'll also be accompanied by a fellow Ancient Steg because I go by the philosophy that if one is good two is better. And generally speaking if I'm running two dinosaurs I'm going to run the Carno as well. Three tempting targets for magic and shooting will generally ensure that at least one if not two or all three (if shooting is divided) get to the enemy to smash it to peices.

I ALWAYS go ancient over regular, it's simply more versitile with it's far better shooting than the bolt thrower. I've also given a Skink Chief BSB on the Steg (still give war spear though) as the 18" range for rerolls is far too tempting. But this does make that steg more tempting for concentrations of magic and missile.

Lizardmen!! likes this.
  19. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

My thoughts exactly... There are some custom works out there that make a fairly cool "Thunder Lizard" models/ Prototypes like this guys:[​IMG]
    Not sure exactly who made it, but it has been floating around the internet for a couple of years now. Obviously too big to be used in most tourneys... and a little, well, bland on the Creature itself (Since its just a Dewback from StarWars)... but still a cool concept In my opinion!

Lizardmen!! likes this.
  20. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

It always works to make a search on the forums if it is Lizardmen based ;)

Here is the WIP thread: http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/something-big-this-way-comes-for-sale.6349/