1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog The Jade Host: Mayan Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Warden, Mar 11, 2016.

1. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

SlanntaClause Well-Known Member

Your army looks so at home there ...prepare the siege weapons we march at dawn!

LizardWizard and Warden like this.
  2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Siege pictures (have to split this post up, I can only add 10 pics at a time)

IMG_0029.JPG

I am VERY happy I made the fortress in pieces, it allows me to open up the fortress while I am trying to deploy stuff on the inside.

IMG_0028.JPG

Slann and his temple guard deployed in one of the towers. Since the Lizardmen don't have any artillery (and I don't have salamanders yet) I figure the best bet would be for the Lizardmen to deploy their magic users in the towers to reign down fire and lightning on the enemy. Also since the towers are too high for ladders (or siege towers) they are offered a measure of protection, and gives them a commanding view of the battlefield.

IMG_0032.JPG

Skink Priests, with the only ranged units I have for the Lizardmen, also deployed in the towers.

IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG
    Mantlets fully manned by the Bretonnian peasant bowmen attackers.

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0058.JPG

Ladders of the Men-at-arms, engaging the Lizardmen defenders. From what I remember of the rules, ladders allow two attackers to climb up to the walls each turn, but the units have to strike last when they reach the top of the wall. Makes it hard for the attackers to gain a foothold unless they deploy a hero with the first wave. Or use more ladders.

IMG_0064.jpg

Siege towers are more effective for the attackers because they allow a total of four attackers to charge onto the wall, striking first instead of last because they get the charge. You just need to get the siege tower to the wall first before it catches fire.

IMG_0068.jpg

3. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Siege pictures continued!!

Scar Veteran Yax Nuunayin and his saurus warriors beating back the defenders.

IMG_0072.JPG

Bretonnian men-at-arms moving their battering ram into place to assault the fortress gates.

IMG_0074.jpg

You can make out the cauldrons on the fortress walls, preparing to rain down boiling oil on the defenders.

IMG_0081.jpg

The Bretonnians have broken down the gates, but they were not expecting the welcome party that greeted them.

IMG_0088.jpg

Siege engine line, Bretonnian jungle trebuchets flinging stones at the fortress walls.

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

And here are the last few pictures, showing the ruined wall-piece I made after it has been knocked over by the Bretonnian trebuchets. In the event a wall or tower segment is destroyed it would be removed and replaced by one of these pieces. Any unit on or near the walls would have to take a test to see if it survived the falling rocks... good luck to the Lizardmen defenders!

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG
    I still have a ways to go on the fortress, but I am so glad it is finally at its current state, never would have though I would have gotten this far!

I hope you enjoyed the pictures!

4. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

Wow your interchangeable debris from siege attacks is ingenious :D

LizardWizard, Bowser and Warden like this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

This looks so awesome! Now we need some battle reports from the seige games!

LizardWizard, tom ndege and Warden like this.
  6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

You guys are fast, thanks! Next time I play a siege scenario I will definitely take some pictures.

LizardWizard, tom ndege and Bowser like this.
  7. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

I'm pretty much on Lustria all day in the background of whatever else I'm doing - I really need to attempt some scenery but my battle boards are still in their carry case - Unfortunately the guttering on the side of our house means we've got mouldy walls that seep into the house so I've lost about 1/3rd of my room moving things away from it :p and trying to make a wooden table to fit them on will be risky

LizardWizard, Warden and Bowser like this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Wow that is awesome stuff. Great work @Warden :):)

Warden, Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  9. BeardyGecko
    Ripperdactil

BeardyGecko Well-Known Member

That looks ace! I really like the seige stuff as well adds a little something to a battle. I'm undecided whether to try wood or something similar to your methods.

Edit: I missed half the pictures the first time I post haha! imagine being the forlorn hope who had to climb ladders against Saurus warriors. :D

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

This stuff you got there looks really cool! I like how you can replace one part of the wall with the ruins, and that gate is extremely cool, too.
    Great work, man! Continue! ;)

11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Definitely try! I think its worth the effort. There are many great examples of terrain on this forum alone, @NIGHTBRINGER , @Jorgik and @n810 's blogs just to name a few. There are loads more.

Thanks for your compliments! I have a few more, these have a decidedly more Bretonnian flavor... but they show off the walls some moar!
    (brace yourselves for heretical images)

Trebuchet defending the castle. Also... some call him... Tim?

IMG_9832.JPG

The Bretonnians fortify their stronghold.

IMG_9833.JPG

IMG_9834.JPG

IMG_9835.JPG

IMG_9836.JPG

IMG_9837.JPG

(WIP) Pegasus Knight in what ended up being a very epic picture.

IMG_9847.JPG

The gallant defenders attempt to defend their ruinous stronghold from their cold-blooded adversary.

IMG_9843.JPG

IMG_9853.JPG

The Knights charge forth from the keep to meet the saurus infantry head-on!

IMG_9841.JPG

Enjoy!

12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Amazing, your inspiring me to finish off my terrain.

13. BeardyGecko
    Ripperdactil

BeardyGecko Well-Known Member

I hope Tim survived the onslaught. :p

14. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

As long as there weren't any rabbits! :joyful:

LizardWizard, BeardyGecko and Bowser like this.
  15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I think Tim is my favorite.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Tim is eternal... he can never be defeated.
    Mine too.

Lizerd, Warden, Otzi'mandias and 2 others like this.
  17. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

Great work. Really very impressive, I think I'm going to have to steal some ideas... This is definitely a thread to watch!

18. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Wow!! The only thing I regret is having taken so long to post to knee before your pics!! Epic terrain and pics you have there!! They must make an awesome fun set to play with! Really love them!

:shamefullyembarrased::shamefullyembarrased::shamefullyembarrased:

Warden, NIGHTBRINGER and n810 like this.
  19. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Thank you for your kind reviews! I am so glad that my work is well received. Here is one picture I missed last time, showing the Lizardmen battering ram in action.

IMG_0046.JPG

My future pictures won't be quite as epic in scale as the last few posts until I make major progress on my fortress again, but eventually I will post more! For now I am finally getting around to painting up my fourth unit of saurus warriors. This unit is painted yellow, in honor of the old one Tlazcotl.

I was originally going to try painting them with a yellow underbelly and darker green back scales.

IMG_0013.JPG

As much as they looked really cool (I have seen someone painted their saurus like this before, a unit of them looked amazing together!) I decided that this was too much of a departure from every other saurus or skink unit in the army.

IMG_0014.JPG

Instead I decided on a color scheme more similar to my yellow skinks, with the standard goblin-green underbelly and darker green back scales, with a few yellow markings.

IMG_0015.JPG

I have used red for my other saurus shields and painted these the same, but I might switch to a brown shield instead to make these guys a little different, not sure yet.

IMG_0016.JPG

Now to paint lots of tiny teeth and claws :vamp:!

Lizerd, BeardyGecko, Jorgik and 3 others like this.
  20. SlanntaClause
    Carnasaur

I really like the symbols on the battering ram its nice how you create the siege equipment appropriate for the army using it :D

Warden, tom ndege and Bowser like this.