1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warmachine?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Qupakoco, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

A lot of guys at my local hobby store are getting into this Warmachine business, and it seems like Warhammer is dying off. In fact there were a bunch of people playing this at my local this weekend rather than the competing in the Warhammer tourney that was supposed to happen!! Very frustrating...

Anyhow, they claim it requires less models and the battles are wrapped up considerably faster than those in Warhammer. I'm considering buying in to it, but I have already dedicated so much time and effort to my WHFB and 40K armies. I don't really want to pick up a new rulebook and potentially leave $2000+ worth of other models on the shelves. Plus all the armies look the same to me, so I don't really see any incentive to collect one army over the other. I mean, they all look like Imperial Guard backed up with Space Marines and Dreadnoughts.

Is anyone else running into this? Maybe I need to start hosting my own Warhammer events...

Warden likes this.
  2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

In my local club, I am usually the only one playing Warhammer. Everyone else is playing 40k or Warmachine or some other stuff. I usually get in a game on Fridays and possibly another on Saturday (if I can get to the club-Dang kids and their soccer and track stuff!).

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I've never been much interested in it, but yes a lot of groups are switching to other systems now. Its only a good thing for the hobby in general and will hopefully lead to GW realising they actually need to try to compete with the competition rather than just ignoring it.

Have you tried a game of warmachine? See if you can get a couple of people to show you a game and see if you like it.

4. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

I guess I never looked at it as being good for the hobby. Good point. I also haven't tried it yet, so I suppose I shouldn't knock it. There are a few guys playing a game on Thursday that said I could sit in on and watch.

I'm pretty content on trying to finish painting my army for the time being. Maybe by the time I finish there will be a resurgence of Warhammer players. :)

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Personally I find I struggle enough between editions of warhammer; remembering which rules are still around and which aren't. :) So knowing multiple game systems is not an easy prospect. There are quite a few really nice companies with great models and great rules, almost all far more affordable than GW, but I guess everyone has to pick just a couple to focus on.

I bought a bunch of Dystopian Wars stuff from Spartan Games last year which all looks really cool, sadly I haven't had the time to properly learn the game yet. I really want to though.

6. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Ha, yah I have had that problem that too. I remember one time my buddy and I started working out a "glancing blow" against my stegadon. Took us about 30 seconds before we realized that we were both thinking of the wrong warhammer.

On the bright side I've found that there are a bunch of avid warhammer players a mere 160 miles (or 260 km) away! Woohoo! Now to invent a teleporter...